World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

List of English Heritage properties

Article Id: WHEBN0000113355
Reproduction Date:

Title: List of English Heritage properties  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: English Heritage, Uley Long Barrow, Conservation in the United Kingdom, Hadrian's Wall
Collection: English Heritage, Lists of Buildings and Structures in England
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

List of English Heritage properties

English Heritage is an executive non-departmental public body of the British Government sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. English Heritage's best known role is as the steward of more than 400 significant historical and archaeological sites, from Stonehenge to the world's earliest iron bridge. It has direct ownership over some historic sites and also liaises with private owners of sites that are managed under guardianship arrangements. It has major responsibilities in conservation, giving advice, registering and protecting the historic environment.

The following is a list of English Heritage properties containing links for any stately home, historic house, castle, abbey, museum or other property in the care of English Heritage.

Contents
Bedfordshire · Berkshire · Bristol and Bath · Buckinghamshire · Cambridgeshire · Cheshire · Cornwall · Cumbria · Derbyshire · Devon · Dorset · Co. Durham · East Riding of Yorkshire · East Sussex · Essex · Gloucestershire · Hampshire · Herefordshire · Hertfordshire · Isle of Wight · Isles of Scilly · Kent · Lancashire · Leicestershire · Lincolnshire · London · Norfolk · Northamptonshire · Northumberland · North Yorkshire · Nottinghamshire · Oxfordshire · Rutland · Shropshire · Somerset · South Yorkshire · Staffordshire · Suffolk · Surrey · Tyne and Wear · Warwickshire · West Midlands · West Sussex · Wiltshire · Worcestershire
See also · References

Bedfordshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bushmead Priory Priory 1185-95 Part complete The Priory Church of Saint Mary, Bushmead, commonly called Bushmead Priory, was a monastic foundation for Augustinian Canons, located at Bushmead in the County of Bedfordshire in England.
De Grey Mausoleum Mausoleum 1614 Complete The de Grey Mausoleum in Flitton, Bedfordshire, England, is one of the largest sepulchral chapels in the country.
Houghton House Country House 1615 Ruins Houghton House is a ruined house located near Houghton Conquest in Bedfordshire, on the ridge just north of Ampthill, and about 8 miles south of Bedford. The house was built for the writer, translator, and literary patron Mary Sidney Herbert, Dowager Countess of Pembroke.
Wrest Park House and Gardens Country House 1834-39 Complete Wrest Park is a country estate located near Silsoe, Bedfordshire, England. It comprises Wrest Park, a Grade I listed country house, and Wrest Park Gardens, also Grade I listed, formal gardens surrounding the mansion.

Berkshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Donnington Castle Castle 1386 Ruins Donnington Castle is a ruined medieval castle, situated in the small village of Donnington, just north of the town of Newbury. It was destroyed in the English Civil War in 1646

Bristol

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Temple Church Church 1390 Ruins A ruined church building in central Bristol, which was founded in the mid 12th century by Robert of Gloucester and the Knights Templar. It served as the site for the famous exorcism of George Lukins conducted by Methodist and Anglican clergymen. It was bombed in the Second World War and largely destroyed.

Cambridgeshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Denny Abbey and Farmland Museum Abbey or Priory 1159 Parts survive A former abbey near Waterbeach, north of Cambridge. A group of Benedictine monks, governed from Ely, moved here in the 1150s. They built a church, Denny Priory, which opened in 1159. The crossing and transepts are the only parts of the original Priory that remain today. In 1169 the monks returned to Ely and the site was handed to the Knights Templar.
Duxford Chapel Chapel 1337 Complete A chapel that was once part of the Hospital of St. John at Duxford, in Cambridgeshire, England, the hospital since demolished. Built using flint rubble for the walls and limestone for the doorways and windows.
Isleham Priory Church Church 1090 Complete A Norman church, Located in Isleham, and part of the former St Margaret's Benedictine Alien Priory. Later converted into a barn, but it remains in an unaltered state.
Longthorpe Tower Fortified manor house 1310 Only tower remains A fourteenth century, three-storey tower, originally part of a fortified manor house. Situated in the village of Longthorpe, now a residential area of Peterborough.

Cheshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Beeston Castle Castle 1220 Ruins A former Royal castle in Beeston, perched above the Cheshire Plain. Built by Ranulf de Blondeville, 6th Earl of Chester, on his return from the Crusades. In 1237, Henry III took over the ownership of Beeston, and it was kept in good repair until the 16th century. The castle was slighted in 1646. During the 18th century the site was used as a quarry.
Chester Castle: Agricola Tower and Castle Walls Castle 1070 Partly complete The castle overlooks the River Dee. In the castle complex are the remaining parts of the medieval castle together with the neoclassical buildings designed by Thomas Harrison which were built between 1788 and 1813. Parts of the neoclassical buildings are used today as Crown Courts and as a military museum.
Chester Roman Amphitheatre Amphitheatre 1st Century Ruins Ruins of a large Roman stone amphitheatre. Today, only the northern half of the structure is exposed; the southern half is covered by buildings. The amphitheatre is the largest so far uncovered in Britain, and dates from the 1st century, when the Roman fort of Deva Victrix was founded. Rediscovered in 1929.
Sandbach Crosses Standing cross 9th Century Complete Two Anglo-Saxon stone crosses now erected in the market place in the town of Sandbach. They are unusually large and elaborate examples of the type. They depict religious scenes, doll-like heads and beasts in panels, together with vine-scrolls, course interlace patterns and some dragons.

Cornwall

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Ballowall Barrow Megalithic tomb Neolithic Remains A prehistoric funerary cairn (chambered tomb) situated on the cliff top at Ballowall Common, near St Just. It was first excavated in 1878 by William Copeland Borlase when it was discovered under mining debris. The site today is a confused mix of original and reconstructions introduced by Borlase.
Carn Euny Ancient Village Village and Fogou Iron Age Remains A Romano-British village near Sancreed, on the Penwith peninsula, with considerable evidence of Iron Age settlement as well. Carn Euny is best known for the well-preserved state of the large fogou, an underground passageway, which is more than 20m long.
Chysauster Ancient Village Village Iron Age Remains A Romano-British village of courtyard houses, believed to have been constructed and occupied between 100 BC and 400 AD; it was primarily agricultural and unfortified and probably occupied by members of the Dumnonii tribe. The village included eight stone dwellings, arranged in pairs along a street, each with its own garden plot.
Dupath Well Wellhouse 1510 Complete A wellhouse constructed over a local spring. Built of Cornish granite ashlar, it was probably built by the Augustinian canons of the nearby priory of St Germans, to whom the site belonged.
Halliggye Fogou Fogou Iron Age Remains Located on the Trelowarren estate near Helston, it consists of a long narrow tunnel leading to three sectioned chambers, and a window-like entrance which was dug in Victorian times by supposed treasure hunters. It is the largest and best-preserved of several mysterious underground tunnels associated with Cornish Iron Age settlements.
Hurlers Stone Circles Stone circle Neolithic Remains A group of three stone circles. The site is half-a-mile west of the village of Minions on the eastern flank of Bodmin Moor. The circles have diameters of 35m, 42m and 33m. The two outer stone circles are circular, the middle and largest stone circle, however, is slightly elliptical.
King Doniert's Stone Standing Cross 9th Century Remains Consists of two pieces of a decorated 9th century cross. The inscription is believed to commemorate Dungarth, King of Cornwall who died around 875. The site also includes an underground passage and chamber.
Launceston Castle Castle 11th Century Ruins A Norman motte and bailey castle raised by Robert, Count of Mortain, half-brother of William the Conqueror. It became the administrative headquarters for the powerful Earls of Cornwall. The castle remained with little development, apart from an inner keep added in the 12th century. During the 13th century, Richard, Earl of Cornwall, a younger brother of Henry III began to rebuild the castle in stone.
Pendennis Castle Device fort 1539 Partly complete One of Henry VIII's Device Forts. Built to guard the entrance to the River Fal on its west bank, near Falmouth. St Mawes Castle is its opposite number on the east bank and they were built to defend Carrick Roads from the French and Spanish threats of future attack. The castle comprises a simple round tower and gate enclosed by a lower curtain wall.
Penhallam Manor House 12th Century Ruins The site of a former medieval manor house surrounded by a protective moat, abandoned during the mid-14th century. Penhallam is one of only four such moated medieval manor sites in Cornwall and it consists of a quadrangle of buildings around a central courtyard.
Restormel Castle Castle 12th Century Ruins Situated on the River Fowey near Lostwithiel, it is one of the four chief Norman castles of Cornwall. The castle is notable for its perfectly circular design. Although once a luxurious residence to the Earl of Cornwall, the castle became ruined in the years after.
St Breock Downs Monolith Monolith Neolithic Remains A 5m high prehistoric standing stone located near St Breock.
St Catherine's Castle Device fort 1530's Remains A small fort commissioned by Henry VIII to protect Fowey Harbour. A twin battery of 64-pounder guns was added on a lower terrace in 1855. One emplacement was modified in the Second World War to mount a 4.7" naval gun, but was later removed to restore the Victorian gun races.
St Mawes Castle Device fort 1540's Remains St Mawes Castle and its larger sister castle, Pendennis, were built as part of a defensive chain of fortresses by Henry VIII to protect the south coast of Cornwall, England, United Kingdom.
Tintagel Castle Castle 13th Century Ruins A medieval fortification located on the peninsula of Tintagel Island. It saw settlement during the Early Medieval period, when it was probably one of the seasonal residences of the regional king of Dumnonia. In the 13th century, during the Later Medieval period, after Cornwall had been subsumed into the kingdom of England, a castle was built on the site by Richard, Earl of Cornwall.
Tregiffian Burial Chamber Megalithic tomb Neolithic Remains A Neolithic or early Bronze Age chambered tomb, comprising an entrance passage, lined with stone slabs, leading to a central chamber, located near Lamorna in west Cornwall.
Trethevy Quoit Megalithic tomb Neolithic Remains A well-preserved megalithic tomb located near St Cleer. It is known locally as "the giant's house" and stands 2.7m high, and consists of five standing stones capped by a large slab.

Cumbria

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Ambleside Roman Fort Roman fort
Bow Bridge Bridge
Brough Castle Castle
Brougham Castle Castle
Carlisle Castle Castle
Castlerigg Stone Circle Stone circle
Clifton Hall Fortified manor house
Countess Pillar Monument
Furness Abbey Abbey
Hadrian's Wall: Banks East Turret Turret
Hadrian's Wall: Birdoswald Roman Fort Roman fort
Hadrian's Wall: Hare Hill Wall
Hadrian's Wall: Harrows Scar Milecastle and Wall Milecastle and Wall
Hadrian's Wall: Poltross Burn Milecastle Milecastle
Hadrian's Wall: Leahill Turret and Piper Sike Turret Turret
Hadrian's Wall: Pike Hill Signal Tower Signal Tower
Hadrian's Wall: Willowford Wall, Turrets and Bridge Wall, Turrets and Bridge
Hardknott Roman Fort Roman fort
King Arthur's Round Table Henge
Lanercost Priory Priory
Mayburgh Henge Henge
Penrith Castle Castle
Piel Castle Castle
Ravenglass Roman Bath House Bath House
Shap Abbey Abbey
Stott Park Bobbin Mill Factory
Wetheral Priory Gatehouse Gatehouse

Derbyshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Arbor Low Stone Circle and Gib Hill Barrow Henge and Tumulus
Bolsover Castle Castle
Bolsover Cundy House Water supply
Hardwick Hall Country House
Hob Hurst's House Tumulus
Nine Ladies Stone Circle Stone circle
Peveril Castle Castle
Sutton Scarsdale Hall Country House
Wingfield Manor Manor house

Devon

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bayard's Cove Fort Device Fort
Berry Pomeroy Castle Castle
Blackbury Camp Hillfort
Dartmouth Castle Device Fort
Grimspound Village
Hound Tor Deserted Medieval Village Village
Kirkham House Townhouse
Lydford Castle and Saxon Town Castle
Merrivale Prehistoric Settlement Village
Okehampton Castle Castle
Royal Citadel, Plymouth Fortress
Totnes Castle Castle
Upper Plym Valley Earthworks

Dorset

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Abbotsbury Abbey Abbey
Christchurch Castle & Norman House Castle
Fiddleford Manor Manor house
Jordan Hill Roman Temple Temple
Kingston Russell Stone Circle Stone circle
Knowlton Church and Earthworks Henge and Church
Lulworth Castle Castle
Maiden Castle Hillfort
Nine Stones, Winterbourne Abbas Stone circle
Portland Castle Device Fort
St Catherine's Chapel Chapel
Sherborne Old Castle Castle
Winterbourne Poor Lot Barrows Tumuli

County Durham

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Auckland Castle Deer House Deer shelter 1760 Complete A gothic-style shelter for deer created for Richard Trevor, Bishop of Durham, in 1760. In the grounds of Auckland Castle, the official office of the Bishop of Durham.
Barnard Castle Castle 1095 Ruins A ruined medieval castle originally built on the site of an earlier defended position from around 1095 to 1125 by Guy de Balliol. In the 15th century the castle passed by marriage to the Neville family who improved the castle and the estate over the next two centuries. It was sold in 1626 to Henry Vane who dismantled much of the castle.
Bowes Castle Castle 12th Century Ruins Built in the corner of an old Roman fort guarding the Stainforth Pass through the Pennines by Alan, Count of Brittany, in the north-west corner of the site.
Derwentcote Steel Furnace Foundry 1720 Complete Located near Rowlands Gill, near Newcastle. It is an example of an early cementation furnace which produced high grade steel.
Egglestone Abbey Abbey 12th Century Ruins An abandoned Abbey on the eastern bank of the River Tees. Founded by the Premonstratensians, also known as the White Canons. They chose the site for the abbey was chosen because of its isolation, close proximity to a river and the supply of local stone for its construction.
Finchale Priory Priory 1196 Ruins A Benedictine priory, sited by the River Wear. Includes the remains of an early 12th-century stone chapel of St John the Baptist. The monastic complex was built in the latter half of the 13th century with alterations and additions continuing for the following three centuries.

East Riding of Yorkshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Burton Agnes Manor House Manor house
Howden Minster Church
Skipsea Castle Castle

East Sussex

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bayham Old Abbey Abbey 1207 Ruins
Battle Abbey Abbey 11th Century Partially ruined Battle Abbey is a partially ruined abbey complex in the small town of Battle in East Sussex, England. The abbey was built on the scene of the Battle of Hastings
Battle of Hastings Battlefield Battlefield 11th Century Senlac Hill was the site of a battle in 1066 between the Norman-French and the English armies during the Norman conquest of England.
Camber Castle Device Fort 16th Century Ruins Camber Castle is one of Henry VIII's Device Forts built to protect the huge Rye anchorage.
Pevensey Castle Roman fort and Castle 3rd Century Ruins Pevensey Castle is a Roman fort (Anderitum) at Pevensey which was later remodelled into a medieval castle in the 11th Century.

Essex

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Audley End House Country House 17th century Partly complete An early 17th-century country house just outside Saffron Walden. It was once a palace in all but name and renowned as one of the finest Jacobean houses in England. It is now only one-third of its original size, but is still large. It remains the family seat of the Lords Braybrooke.
Hadleigh Castle Castle 13th century Ruined The ruins of a royal castle begun in about 1215, but extensively refortified by Edward III during the 14th century. The barbican and two drum towers – one later used by Georgian revenue men looking out for smugglers – are part of his building works during the 1360s.
Lexden Earthworks and Bluebottle Grove Ramparts Iron Age Remains The banks and ditches of a series of late Iron Age defences protecting the western side of Camulodunum – pre-Roman Colchester.
Mistley Towers Church towers 1776 Mostly complete Two porticoed Classical towers, which stood at each end of a grandiose but highly unconventional Georgian church, designed by Robert Adam in 1776.
Prior's Hall Barn Barn 15th century Complete One of the finest surviving medieval barns in eastern England, with an aisled interior and crown post roof, the product of some 400 oaks.
St. Botolph's Priory Priory c. 1100 Ruins The remains of one of the first Augustinian priories in England, founded about 1100. Built in flint and reused Roman brick, the church displays massive circular pillars and round arches and an elaborate west front. It was later damaged during the Civil War siege of 1648.
St John's Abbey Gate, Colchester Gatehouse c. 1400 Mostly complete A pinnacled gatehouse, and all that remains of the Benedictine abbey of St John. Later part of the mansion of the Royalist Lucas family, the gatehouse was bombarded and stormed by Parliamentarian soldiers during the Civil War siege.
Tilbury Fort Device fort 1539 Mostly complete A fort built on the north bank of the River Thames to defend London from attack from the sea. Henry VIII built the first fort here, and Queen Elizabeth I rallied her army nearby to face the threat of the Armada. Work started on the current fort in 1670 but was still continuing in the 1680s. The 19th century saw extensive re-design and re-modelling.
Waltham Abbey Gatehouse and Bridge Gatehouse and bridge 14th century Ruins A 14th-century gatehouse belonging to the Augustinian abbey which was dissolved in 1540. Nearby is the 14th century Harold’s Bridge across the Cornmill Stream.

Gloucestershire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Belas Knap Long Burrow Megalithic tomb Neolithic Mostly complete A neolithic chambered long barrow, situated on Cleeve Hill, near Cheltenham. It is of a type known as the Cotswold Severn Cairn, all of which have a similar trapezoid shape, and are found scattered along the River Severn.
Blackfriars, Gloucester Friary 1239 Mostly complete One of the most complete surviving Dominican friaries in England, later converted into a Tudor house and cloth factory.
Cirencester Amphitheatre Amphitheatre 2nd century Remains Earthwork remains of one of the largest Roman amphitheatres in Britain, built in the early 2nd century. It served the Roman city of Corinium Dobunnorum (now Cirencester), then second only in size and importance to London.
Great Witcombe Roman Villa Roman villa 3rd century Remains The remains of a large and luxurious villa located on a hillside at Great Witcombe, near Gloucester, with a bathhouse complex and possibly the shrine of a water spirit.
Greyfriars, Gloucester Church 1518 Ruins Remains of a Franciscan friary church rebuilt in about 1518
Hailes Abbey Abbey 1246 Ruins A Cistercian abbey founded by the Earl of Cornwall in thanks for surviving a shipwreck. It held a renowned relic, "the Holy Blood of Hailes" – allegedly a phial of Christ’s own blood. After the dissolution in 1539 just a few of the cloister arches remained, together with the foundations of the church.
Kingswood Abbey Gatehouse Gatehouse early 16th century Partly complete A 16th-century gatehouse, and one of the latest monastic buildings in England before the Dissolution
Notgrove Long Barrow Megalithic tomb Neolithic Parts remain A Neolithic chambered tomb of the Cotswold Severn type situated on the crest of a ridge. The barrow was sealed in 1976 to prevent damage to the site.
Nympsfield Long Barrow Megalithic tomb Neolithic Remains A chambered long barrow of the Cotswold Severn group overlooking the valley of the River Severn. Its internal burial chambers are uncovered for viewing.
Odda's Chapel Church 1056 Mostly complete One of the most complete surviving Saxon churches in England, built by Earl Odda, and rediscovered in 1865 subsumed into a farmhouse.
Offa's Dyke Defensive earthwork 8th century Remains A three-mile section of the great earthwork boundary dyke built along the Anglo-Welsh border by Offa, King of Mercia. This wooded stretch includes the Devil's Pulpit rock, with fine views of Tintern Abbey.
Over Bridge Bridge 1825-30 Complete A single-arch stone bridge spanning the River Severn near Gloucester. It links Over to Alney Island. It was built by the great engineer Thomas Telford.
St Briavels Castle Castle 12th century Parts survive A royal administrative centre for the Forest of Dean. The castle was a favourite hunting lodge of King John. The Keep and the East tower collapsed in the 18th century, by which time the Great Hall had also been demolished. The twin-towered gatehouse of this castle, built by Edward I, survives. Once a prison, it is now a youth hostel.
St Mary's Church, Kempley Church 12th century Mostly complete Norman church, displaying one of the most complete and well preserved sets of medieval wallpaintings in England, dating from the 12th and 14th centuries.
Uley Long Barrow Megalithic tomb Neolithic Mostly complete Also known as Hetty Pegler's Tump. A partly reconstructed Neolithic chambered mound, 37 metres long, overlooking the Severn Valley. It contains a stone built central passage with two chambers on either side and another at the end.
Windmill Tump Megalithic tomb Neolithic Partly complete Also known as Rodmarton Long Barrow, this is a Neolithic chambered tomb with at least three stone-lined chambers. At the eastern end of the mound there is a forecourt flanked by two projections and a so-called false entrance consisting of two standing stones and a stone lintel, blocked by a slab.

Hampshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bishop's Waltham Palace Palace 1135 Ruins

Built by the Bishop of Winchester, Henry of Blois, Bishop's Waltham Palace was later used by the Bishops of Winchester as they travelled, along with Farnham Castle and Wolvesey Castle. The palace was destroyed in 1644 after the English Civil War.

Calshot Castle Device Fort 1540 Mostly complete One of Henry VIII's device forts, built on Calshot Spit to guard the entrance to Southampton Water. It was built as a circular blockhouse with a three storey central keep using stone from Beaulieu Abbey. The outer walls were lowered in 1774 and the gatehouse was rebuilt in order to provide more living space. The castle was in use until 1956.
Flowerdown Barrows Tumuli Bronze Age Mostly complete Three Bronze Age burial mounds in a much larger cemetery, including a well-preserved disc barrow which has been described as "the finest in Hampshire".
Fort Brockhurst Palmerston Fort 1858–1863 Complete A fort designed by William Crossman in the 19th century to protect Portsmouth. Its main purpose was to guard the approach from potential landing areas on the south Hampshire coast. The site is only occasionally open to the public.
Fort Cumberland Fort 1748 Complete A fort built by the Duke of Cumberland, replacing an earlier earthwork battery. The fort was of earthwork construction with a number of brick buildings. It was completely rebuilt in masonry from 1785–1812, and then refortified in the late 19th century. It remained in military ownership for much of the twentieth century.
Hurst Castle Device Fort 1541–1544 Mostly complete One of Henry VIII's Device Forts, built at the end of a long shingle beach at the west end of the Solent to guard the approaches to Southampton. It was modified throughout the 19th century, and two large wing batteries were built to house heavy guns. It was fortified again in the Second World War and then decommissioned.
King James's and Landport Gates, Portsmouth City gates 1687 and 1760 Partly complete Two ornate gateways which were originally access points to Portsmouth. King James's Gate was built in 1687, but has been moved twice, and is now part of the boundary of the United Services Ground. Landport Gate was built in 1760 as a main entry point to Portsmouth from the Dockyard. The gate is still in its original position.
Medieval Merchant's House, Southampton Town house 1290 Partly complete A restored building built in about 1290 by John Fortin, a prosperous merchant. The house survived many centuries of domestic and commercial use largely intact. German bomb damage in 1940 revealed the medieval interior of the house, and in the 1980s it was restored to resemble its initial appearance.
Netley Abbey Abbey 1239 Ruins An abbey founded as a house for Cistercian monks. It was closed by Henry VIII in 1536 and the building was converted into a mansion by William Paulet. The abbey was used as a country house until the beginning of the 18th century, after which it was abandoned and partially demolished. Subsequently the ruins became a tourist attraction, and provided inspiration to poets and artists of the Romantic movement.
Portchester Castle Roman fort and Castle 3rd century and 11th century Partly complete A Roman fort built during the 3rd century to protect the southern coastline of Britain. A castle was built within its walls in the late 11th century. The monarchy controlled the castle for several centuries and it was a favoured hunting lodge of King John. Later in its history the castle was used as a prison.
Royal Garrison Church (Domus Dei), Portsmouth Hospice or Church 1212 Parts survive An almshouse and hospice, known as the Domus Dei, established by Pierre des Roches, Bishop of Winchester. It was seized by King Henry VIII in 1540. Towards the end of the 17th century it fell into disrepair until it was restored in 1767 to become the Garrison church. The buildings of Domus Dei were partially destroyed in an attack by German bombers in 1941.
Silchester Roman City Walls and Amphitheatre Roman town and Amphitheatre 1st century Remains A Roman town known as Calleva Atrebatum. It was the civitas capital of the Atrebates tribe. It was abandoned shortly after the end of the Roman era. The earthworks and the ruined city walls are still visible. The area inside the walls is now largely farmland. The remains of the Roman amphitheatre and situated outside the city walls, can be clearly seen.
The Grange, Northington Country House 1804 Complete A 19th-century country house and landscape park. It was commissioned in 1804 by Henry Drummond who wanted his brick house transformed into a neoclassical ancient Greek temple.
Titchfield Abbey Abbey 1222 Parts survive An abbey founded for Premonstratensian canons. It was closed in 1537 by Henry VIII and the building was converted into a mansion by Thomas Wriothesley, a powerful courtier. In 1781 the abbey was abandoned and partially demolished to create a romantic ruin.
Wolvesey Castle (Old Bishop's Palace), Winchester Castle 1130 Ruins A castle erected by the Bishop of Winchester, Henry of Blois. It was the scene for the Rout of Winchester in which the Empress Matilda assaulted the Bishop Henry in 1141. The castle was destroyed by Roundheads during the English Civil War in 1646.

Herefordshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Arthur's Stone Megalithic tomb Neolithic Remains A Neolithic chambered tomb situated on the ridge line of a hill overlooking both the Golden Valley and the Wye Valley. Today only the large stones of the inner chamber remain.
Edvin Loach Old Church Church 11th century Ruins The ruins of an 11th-century and later church built within the earthworks of a Norman motte and bailey castle.
Goodrich Castle Castle 11th century Ruins A now ruined Norman medieval castle to the north of the village of Goodrich. In the middle of the 12th century the original earth and wood castle was replaced with a stone keep, and was then expanded significantly during the late 13th century into a concentric structure combining living quarters with defences.
Longtown Castle Castle c. 1200 Ruins A thick-walled round keep built c. 1200, characteristic of the Welsh Borders, on a large earthen mound within a stonewalled bailey.
Mortimer's Cross Water Mill Watermill 18th century Complete An 18th-century water mill, situated on the River Lugg, in part working order.
Rotherwas Chapel Chapel 14th century Complete The family chapel of the Roman Catholic Bodenham family rebuilt in the 1580s. The tower was rebuilt in the 18th century. The chapel contains Victorian interior decoration by the Pugins.
Wigmore Castle Castle 11th century Ruins Founded in 1067 by William Fitz Osbern, Wigmore Castle was a stronghold of the Mortimer family from about 1075 to 1425. It was later dismantled to prevent its use during the English Civil War.

Hertfordshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Berkhamsted Castle Castle
Old Gorhambury House Country House
St Albans Roman Wall City walls

Isle of Wight

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Appuldurcombe House Country House
Carisbrooke Castle Castle
Osborne House Country House
St. Catherine's Oratory Lighthouse
Yarmouth Castle Device Fort

Isles of Scilly

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bant's Carn Burial Chamber Megalithic tomb
Cromwell's Castle Fort
Garrison Walls Ramparts
Halangy Down Ancient Village Village
Harry's Walls Ramparts
Innisidgen Lower and Upper Burial Chambers Megalithic tomb
King Charles's Castle Fort
Old Blockhouse Fort
Porth Hellick Down Burial Chamber Megalithic tomb

Kent

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Deal Castle Device Fort 1539 Complete A 16th-century coastal artillery fort, located in Deal, between Walmer Castle and the now lost Sandown Castle.
Dover Castle Castle 12th century Complete A medieval castle in the town of the same name in the English county of Kent. It was founded in the 12th century and has been described as the "Key to England" due to its defensive significance throughout history. It is the largest castle in England.
Dymchurch Martello Tower Martello Tower 1805 Restored A Martello Tower in Dymchurch. It stands immediately behind the sea wall. Part of a coastal defence programme
Eynsford Castle Castle 1088 Ruins A stone Norman castle in the English county of Kent, within the civil parish bounds of the village of Eynsford. It was historically the manor owning most of the land of the village.
Faversham Stone Chapel Chapel AD500 Ruins A ruined Church of Our Lady of Elwarton, located near Faversham. Its origins date back to the Roman era when it was used for pagan purposes.
Horne's Place Chapel Chapel 1276 Complete A late mediaeval timber-framed house with private chapel in Appledore.
Kit's Coty House Megalithic tomb Neolithic Ruins Kit's Coty is the name of the remains of a Neolithic chambered long barrow on Blue Bell Hill near Aylesford.
Knights Templar Church, Dover Church 11th Century Ruins The ruins of a mediaeval church of the Knights Templar, on Bredenstone hill, part of the Dover Western Heights.
Little Kit's Coty House Megalithic tomb Neolithic Ruins The name of the remains of a Neolithic chambered long barrow on Blue Bell Hill near Aylesford.
Lullingstone Roman Villa Roman Villa 1st Century Ruins A villa built during the Roman occupation of Britain, situated near the village of Eynsford. The ruins contain a Roman temple-mausoleum, one of the earliest known chapels in the country.
Maison Dieu, Faversham Hospice 1234 Complete The building is a hospital, monastery, hostel, retirement home and Royal lodge commissioned by Henry III in 1234. The building is located beside what is now the A2 road in Faversham.
Milton Chantry, Gravesend Chantry chapel 1322 Complete A former Chantry in Gravesend. Now used as the Chantry Heritage Centre displaying a range of exhibits relating to Gravesend, Northfleet and the nearby villages. It is situated within the Napoleonic built Fort Gardens.
Old Soar Manor Manor house 13th Century Complete A small 13th century stone manor house near Plaxtol.
Reculver Roman Fort and Reculver Towers Roman fort and Church 3rd century and 12th Century Ruins A Roman fort built during the 3rd century to protect the coastline of Britain. A medieval church was built within the fort, and had two towers added in the late 12th century. They survived the demolition of the church in 1809, to provide a landmark for shipping.
Richborough Castle and Amphitheatre Roman fort 3rd Century Ruins The ruined remains of a Roman Saxon Shore Fort. It was a major port of Roman Britain. It situated in Richborough near Sandwich.
Rochester Castle Castle 1087-1089 Ruins A 12th-century keep or stone tower, is the castle's most prominent feature, which is one of the best preserved in England or France. Located along the River Medway and Watling Street, in Medway.
St Augustine's Abbey Abbey 5th Century Ruins A Benedictine monastery in Canterbury. The abbey was founded in 598 and functioned as a monastery until its dissolution in 1538 during the English Reformation. After the abbey's dissolution, it underwent dismantlement until 1848. Since 1848, part of the site has been used for educational purposes and the abbey ruins have been preserved for their historical value.
St Augustine's Conduit House Water supply 12th century Ruins The remains of a medieval conduit house in King’s Park, Canterbury. Built to supply water to nearby St Augustine's Abbey.
St Augustine's Cross Standing cross 1884 Complete A stone memorial in Pegwell Bay, Thanet. The cross was erected in 1884 to commemorate the arrival of St Augustine in England in AD 597
St John's Commandery Priory 13th Century Mostly complete Also known as St John's Commandery, Swingfield was a priory built for the Knights Templar about 5 miles north of Folkestone,Kent.
St Leonard's Tower Castle 1080 Ruins A Norman keep in West Malling. The tower was built by Bishop Gundulf around 1080. Situated beside Manor Park Country Park, along St.Leonard's Road.
Sutton Valence Castle Castle 1150 Ruins A castle was built in about 1150, probably by Baldwin de Bethune. It was probably built to control the road from Maidstone to the channel ports of Hastings, Rye and Winchelsea. The castle was abandoned about 1300.
Temple Manor Manor house Early C13 Complete A building in Strood, Kent. The Manor has been owned by various religious (including Knights Templar), national and farming owners over 600 years.
Upnor Castle Device Fort 1559 Mostly complete Upnor Castle is an Elizabethan artillery fort located in the village of Upnor, Medway, South East England. Its purpose was to defend ships moored "in ordinary" on the River Medway outside Chatham Dockyard.
Walmer Castle Device Fort 1539–1540 Complete A castle at Walmer in Kent, built by Henry VIII in 1539–1540 as an artillery fortress to counter the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain. It was part of his programme to create a chain of coastal defences along England's coast known as the Device Forts or as Henrician Castles.
Western Heights, Dover Ramparts 1779 Mostly complete A series of forts, strong points and ditches, designed to protect the country from invasion. They were created to augment the existing defences and protect the key port of Dover from both seaward and landward attack.

Lancashire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Goodshaw Chapel Chapel
Sawley Abbey Abbey
Warton Old Rectory Rectory
Whalley Abbey Gatehouse Gatehouse

Leicestershire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Ashby de la Zouch Castle Castle
Jewry Wall Wall
Kirby Muxloe Castle Castle

Lincolnshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bolingbroke Castle Castle
Gainsborough Old Hall Manor house
Gainsthorpe Medieval Village Village
Lincoln Medieval Bishop's Palace Palace
Sibsey Trader Windmill Windmill
St Peter's Church, Barton-upon-Humber Church
Tattershall College School
Thornton Abbey and Gatehouse Abbey

London

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Apsley House Townhouse
Chapter House and Pyx Chamber Chapter house
Chiswick House Townhouse
Coombe Conduit Water supply
Down House Country House 1778 Complete Home of Charles Darwin
Eltham Palace Palace
Harmondsworth Great Barn Tithe barn
Jewel Tower Tower
Kenwood House Country House
London Wall, Tower Hill Wall
Marble Hill House Country House
Ranger's House Country House
Wellington Arch Triumphal arch
Winchester Palace Palace

Norfolk

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Baconsthorpe Castle Castle
Berney Arms Windmill Windmill
Binham Market Cross Standing cross
Binham Priory Priory
Blakeney Guildhall Townhouse
Burgh Castle Roman fort
Caister Roman Fort Roman fort
Castle Acre Bailey Gate City gates
Castle Acre Castle Castle
Castle Acre Priory Priory
Castle Rising Castle Castle
Cow Tower, Norwich Tower
Creake Abbey Abbey
Great Yarmouth Row Houses Townhouses
Greyfriars' Cloisters, Great Yarmouth Friary
Grimes Graves Flint mine
North Elham Chapel Chapel
St Olave's Priory Priory
Thetford, Church of the Holy Sepulchre Priory
Thetford Priory Priory
Thetford Warren Lodge Hunting lodge
Weeting Castle Castle

North Yorkshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Aldborough Roman Site Town 1st century Remains Remains of a Roman town, once capital of the Brigantes tribe. Ruins laid out amid a Victorian arboretum with an onsite museum.
Byland Abbey Abbey 1135 Ruins Cistercian monastery with early gothic architecture.
Carlton Towers Country house 1842 Complete Victorian country house design by Pugin and built in the gothic-rival style.
Clifford's Tower Castle 13th century Mostly complete The keep of York Castle, and the most prominent surviving part of the original medieval fortification. It was built on the orders of William I and rebuilt by Henry III. It has also served as a prison and a royal mint.
Easby Abbey Abbey 1152 Ruins Premonstratensian abbey. Notable for its lavish roof-height refectory built around 1300. Within the precinct is the still-active parish church, displaying 13th century wall paintings.
Fountains Abbey Abbey 1132 Ruins One of the largest and best preserved ruined Cistercian monasteries in England. Owned by the National Trust and maintained by English Heritage.
Gisborough Priory Priory 14th century Ruins An Augustinian priory founded in 1119 by an ancestor of Robert the Bruce. It is dominated by the skeleton of the 14th century church's east end.
Helmsley Castle Castle 13th century Ruins A castle founded around 1120, and rebuilt around 1300. It later became a Tudor mansion, a Civil War stronghold, and then a romantic Victorian ruin.
Kirkham Priory Priory 1120s Ruins An Augustinian priory was founded in the 1120s by Walter l'Espec, lord of nearby Helmsley, who also built Rievaulx Abbey.
Marmion Tower Tower 15th century Ruins A gatehouse of a vanished riverside manor house. The monuments of the manor's family owners are in the adjacent church.
Middleham Castle Castle 12th century Ruins A fortified palace in Wensleydale. Once the childhood home of Richard III.
Mount Grace Priory Priory 1398 Ruins The best preserved Carthusian priory in Britain
Pickering Castle Castle 13th century Ruins A motte-and-bailey fortification used as a royal hunting lodge, holiday home and a stud farm by a succession of medieval kings.
Piercebridge Roman Bridge Bridge 2nd century Remains Stonework foundations, now marooned in a field, of a bridge which once led to Piercebridge Roman Fort.
Richmond Castle Castle 11th century Ruins A castle originally built to subdue the unruly North of England, it is one of the greatest Norman fortresses in Britain.
Rievaulx Abbey Abbey 1132 Ruins A Cistercian abbey, and once one of the wealthiest abbeys in England. It is one of the most complete and atmospheric of England's abbey ruins.
St Mary's Church, Studley Royal Church 1870s Complete A Victorian Gothic Revival church, located in the grounds of Studley Royal Park at Fountains Abbey
Scarborough Castle Castle 12th century Ruins A medieval Royal fortress. The site of the castle, encompasses an Iron Age settlement, Roman signal station, an Anglo-Scandinavian settlement and chapel, a 12th century enclosure castle and an 18th century battery.
Spofforth Castle Castle 14th century Ruins The ruined hall and chamber of a fortified manor house, dating mainly from the 14th and 15th centuries. Its undercroft is cut into a rocky outcrop.
Stanwick Iron Age Fortifications Hillfort Iron-age Remains An excavated section, part cut into rock, of the ramparts of the huge Iron Age trading and power-centre of the Brigantes tribe.
Steeton Hall Gateway Gatehouse 14th century Ruins A small, well-preserved, manorial gatehouse.
Wharram Percy Deserted Medieval Village Village Medieval Remains A deserted medieval village. Above the substantial ruins of the church and a recreated fishpond, the outlines of many lost houses are traceable on a grassy plateau.
Wade's Causeway Earthworks Unknown Remains A mile-long stretch of enigmatic ancient road, also known as "Wheeldale Roman Road". Once thought to be Roman but possibly much earlier or later.
Whitby Abbey Abbey 11th century Ruins A ruined Benedictine abbey overlooking the North Sea on the cliffs above Whitby. The first monastery was founded in 657 AD.
York Cold War Bunker Bunker 1961 Complete A nerve-centre to monitor fallout in the event of a nuclear attack. It was in active service until the 1990s.

Northamptonshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Apethorpe Hall Country House
Chichele College Chantry chapel
Eleanor Cross, Geddington Standing cross
Kirby Hall Country House
Rushton Triangular Lodge Folly

Northumberland

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Aydon Castle Castle
Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens Castle
Berwick-upon-Tweed Barracks & Main Guard Barracks
Berwick-upon-Tweed Castle & Berwick Ramparts Castle and Ramparts
Black Middens Bastle House Manor house
Brinkburn Priory Priory
Dunstanburgh Castle Castle
Edlingham Castle Castle
Etal Castle Castle
Hadrian's Wall: Black Carts Turret Turret
Hadrian's Wall: Brunton Turret Turret
Hadrian's Wall: Cawfields Roman Wall Wall
Hadrian's Wall: Chesters Roman Fort and Bridge Roman fort and Bridge
Hadrian's Wall: Corbridge Roman Town Roman fort
Hadrian's Wall: Heddon-on-the-Wall Wall
Hadrian's Wall: Housesteads Roman Fort Roman fort
Hadrian's Wall: Planetrees Roman Wall Wall
Hadrian's Wall: Sewingshields Wall Wall
Hadrian's Wall: Temple of Mithras, Carrawburgh Temple
Hadrian's Wall: Walltown Crags Wall
Hadrian's Wall: Winshields Wall Wall
Lindisfarne Priory Priory
Norham Castle Castle
Prudhoe Castle Castle
Warkworth Castle Castle
Warkworth Hermitage Hermitage

Nottinghamshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Mattersey Priory Priory
Rufford Abbey Abbey

Oxfordshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Abingdon County Hall Museum County Hall and Museum
Deddington Castle Castle
Minster Lovell Hall and Dovecote Manor house
North Hinksey Conduit House Water supply
North Leigh Roman Villa Roman Villa
Rollright Stones Stone circle and Megalithic tomb
Uffington Castle Hillfort
Uffington: Dragon Hill Mound
Uffington White Horse Hill figure
Wayland's Smithy Megalithic tomb

Rutland

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Lyddington Bede House Almshouse

Shropshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Acton Burnell Castle Castle
Boscobel House and The Royal Oak Manor house
Buildwas Abbey Abbey
Cantlop Bridge Bridge
Clun Castle Castle
Haughmond Abbey Abbey
Iron Bridge Bridge
Langley Chapel Chapel
Lilleshall Abbey Abbey
Mitchell's Fold Stone Circle Stone circle
Moreton Corbet Castle Castle
Old Oswestry Hill Fort Hillfort
Stokesay Castle Castle
Wenlock Priory Priory
White Ladies Priory Priory
Wroxeter Roman City Town

Somerset

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Cleeve Abbey Abbey 1198 Parts survive Located near the village of Washford, Cleeve Abbey was founded as a house for monks of the Cistercian order. It was closed in 1536 and the abbey was converted into a country house.
Dunster Butter Cross Standing cross 15th century Ruined A transplanted stump of a medieval stone cross, once a meeting place for butter-sellers.
Dunster Gallox Bridge Bridge 15th century Complete An ancient stone bridge which once carried packhorses bringing fleeces to Dunster market.
Dunster Yarn Market Market hall 17th century Complete A 17th-century timber-framed octagonal market hall in the village of Dunster.
Farleigh Hungerford Castle Castle 14th century Ruined Started in the 14th century, this fortified mansion was occupied for 300 years by the Hungerford family. Much of it was broken up for salvage in the 18th century. The castle chapel was repaired in 1779 and became a museum of curiosities, complete with the murals rediscovered on its walls in 1844.
Glastonbury Tribunal Town house 15th century Complete A late 15th-century town house, once mistakenly identified as a courtroom of Glastonbury Abbey. It now houses both the Tourist Information Centre and the Glastonbury Lake Village Museum.
Meare Fish House Fish house 14th century Complete The only surviving monastic fishery building in England, this housed the Abbot of Glastonbury's water bailiff and provided facilities for fish-salting and drying.
Muchelney Abbey Abbey 12th century Ruined Once a wealthy Benedictine house and the second oldest religious foundation in Somerset, but as part of the dissolution the abbey’s principal buildings were demolished by Henry VIII in 1538. The foundations of the abbey are laid out with parts of the cloister walk and thatched monks’ lavatory. The 16th century abbots’ house remains intact.
Nunney Castle Castle 14th century Ruined A moated castle built in the 1370s. Extensively modernised in the late 16th century, the castle was held for the King during the Civil War, but quickly fell to Parliamentarian cannon in 1645: not until Christmas Day 1910, however, did the gun-damaged portion of the wall finally collapse.
Sir Bevil Grenville's Monument Monument 1720 Complete Erected on Lansdowne Hill, Bath, to commemorate the heroism of Sir Bevil Grenville and his Cornish pikemen at the Battle of Lansdowne in 1643,
Stanton Drew Circles and Cove Henge Neolithic Parts survive The three circles and a stone cove near the village of Stanton Drew, are the third largest collection of prehistoric standing stones in England. The Great Circle probably consisted of 30 stones, of which 27 survive today, and was surrounded by the ditch (now filled in) of a henge. It lies between two smaller circles, whilst to the west is a cove of three stones standing in the garden of a public house.
Stoney Littleton Long Barrow Megalithic tomb Neolithic Mostly complete A Neolithic chambered tomb with multiple burial chambers, located near the village of Wellow, Somerset. It is an example of the Severn-Cotswold tomb. The barrow is about 30m in length and stands nearly 3m high. Internally it contains a gallery with three pairs of side chambers and an end chamber.

South Yorkshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Brodsworth Hall and Gardens Country House
Conisbrough Castle Castle
Monk Bretton Priory Priory
Roche Abbey Abbey

Staffordshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Croxden Abbey Abbey
Wall Roman Site Town

Suffolk

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bury St Edmunds Abbey Abbey
Framlingham Castle Castle
Landguard Fort Device Fort
Leiston Abbey Abbey
Moulton Packhorse Bridge Bridge
Orford Castle Castle
Saxtead Green Post Mill Windmill
St James' Chapel, Lindsey Chapel

Surrey

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Farnham Castle Keep Castle
Waverley Abbey Abbey

Tyne and Wear

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Bessie Surtees House Townhouse
Hadrian's Wall: Benwell Roman Temple & Vallum Crossing Temple and Vallum
Hadrian's Wall: Denton Hall Turret Turret
Hylton Castle Castle
St Paul's Monastery, Jarrow Priory
Tynemouth Priory & Castle Castle and Priory

Warwickshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Kenilworth Castle Castle

West Midlands

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Halesowen Abbey Abbey
J. W. Evans Silver Factory Factory

West Sussex

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Boxgrove Priory Priory
Bramber Castle Castle

Wiltshire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Alexander Keiller Museum Barn and Museum
Avebury Henge
Bradford-on-Avon Tithe Barn Tithe barn
Bratton Camp Hillfort
Chisbury Chapel Chapel
Hatfield Earthworks Henge
Ludgershall Castle Castle
Ludgershall Cross Standing cross
Netheravon Dovecote Dovecote
Old Sarum Castle
Old Wardour Castle Castle
The Sanctuary Stone circle
Silbury Hill Tumulus
Stonehenge Henge
West Kennet Avenue Avenue
West Kennet Long Barrow Megalithic tomb
Westbury White Horse Hill figure
Windmill Hill Enclosure
Woodhenge Henge

Worcestershire

Name
Type
Date
Condition
Image Notes
Leigh Court Barn Tithe barn
Witley Court Country House 1655 Ruins

See also

References

  • Properties | English Heritage
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.