World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Önsbach

Article Id: WHEBN0018449181
Reproduction Date:

Title: Önsbach  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Önsbach

Önsbach is the second-largest district ("Stadtteil") of the major district town ("Kreisstadt") of Achern in the north of Ortenaukreis, located in the Black Forest.

Önsbach is located in northern Ortenau, south of the town of Achern. A third of the village lies in the Rhine valley and two thirds, in the western foothills of the Black Forest. Önsbach is located along Bundesstraße 3 (B 3).

History

The earliest documentary evidence of Önsbach appears in a 1225 Papal bull of Honorius III in which the town is called Ongersbac where the cloister of Ettenheim held property.

In 1230 there was mention of a "Hof" (courtyard or farmyard) in Ongisbach. Ortenau, in which Önsbach is located, became part of the Grand Duchy of Baden after the Fourth Peace of Pressburg (1805).

In 1844 a train station was built.

The modern spelling of the name was only decided upon in 1938.

Coat of arms

The oldest known seal dates back to the 1830s. It consists of a birds foot with three fore-talons and one hind talon on a red background.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.