World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Camp Bowie

Camp Bowie
Camp Bowie Armory
Camp Bowie Armory
Nickname(s): Camp Bowie Training Facility
Camp Bowie is located in Texas
Camp Bowie
Camp Bowie
Location within the state of Texas
Coordinates:
Country United States
State Texas
County Brown
Area
 • Total 9,297 acres (3,762 ha)
Elevation 1,458 ft (444 m)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP codes 76801
Area code(s) 325
Army Engineer Company training at Camp Bowie.

Camp Bowie is a United States National Guard training center located in west central Texas on the southern outskirts of Brownwood.

History

Camp Bowie, named in honor of the Texas patriot James Bowie, was a military training facility during World War II, and was the third camp in Texas to be so named. From 1940-1946 it grew to be one of the largest training centers in Texas.

In 1940, the war situation in Europe caused the United States Congress to determine that it was time to strengthen the defense system. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was handed the power to mobilize the National Guard units. The 36th Division of the Texas National Guard unit arrived at Camp Bowie, located then in Fort Worth, in mid-December for their year's training, but before training was finished, war had been declared.

On September 19, 1940, the War Department announced that a camp would be built at Brownwood. Work began at the campsite on September 27, 1940. The Camp was the first major defense project in the state and there was no scarcity of labor when the building work began.

In 1943, the first German prisoners of war arrived; many were members of Erwin Rommel's once proud Afrika Corps. The 2,700 men that settled in were well-behaved and became day-laborers for the farms in central Texas.

On August 1, 1946 the War Department notified Texas members of Congress that the Camp had been declared "surplus". The Civilian War Assets Administration was to take charge and began the distribution of the land and buildings.

Camp Bowie suffered a large grass fire in July, 2008, where several hundred acres of dry grassy areas of the facility were burned.

Camp Bowie remains an active military training station and recently completed construction of new facilities including a firing range and several ammunition storage bunkers.

External links

  • Camp Bowie":- Written account from Joseph E Lehman between November 1943 and April 1944" See 2124252930323334
  • Camp Bowie - Information from GlobalSecurity.org
  • Interview with Heinrich Krahforst, former POW at Camp Bowie from 1943–1945
  • Article regarding the POW camp
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.