World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

District Council of Tumby Bay

 

District Council of Tumby Bay

District Council of Tumby Bay
South Australia
Location of Tumby Bay District Council in blue
Population 2,757(2009)[1]
Established 1906
Area 2,615.9 km2 (1,010.0 sq mi)
Mayor Laurie WG Collins
Council seat Tumby Bay
Region NE Eyre Peninsula
State electorate(s) Flinders
Federal Division(s) Grey
Website
LGAs around District Council of Tumby Bay:
District Council of Elliston District Council of Cleve
District Council of Tumby Bay
District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula

The Tumby Bay District Council is a local government area of South Australia covering an area of the North Eastern Eyre Peninsula. Established in 1906, only six years after the town of Tumby Bay was established, the district was annexed from the former District Council of Port Lincoln to form the present council.

Localities

As well as Tumby Bay, The Tumby Bay District Council covers a number of larger towns including:

A number of smaller areas are also incorporated in the district. These include: Brooker, Butler, Butler Tanks, Carrow, Cockaleechie, Dixson, Hutchison, Koppio, Lipson Cove, Moody, Moreenia, Mount Hill, Nicholls, Redcliff's, Stokes, Thuruna, Trinity Haven, Uranno, Waratta Vale, Yallunda Flat and Yaranyacka.

Economy

The District's economy relies heavily on Agriculture and Fishing, and to a lesser extent, tourism.

The Area has long been a tourist destination, with fishing being a major attraction. A large marina was constructed in Tumby Bay in 2001, which has allowed for easier launching of boats, as well as development of nearby areas.

Elected members

Councillor (Mayor) Laurie WG Collins

CEO: Trevor SMITH

Councillors:

  • Peter Swaffer
  • Pamela Gwen Brougham
  • Murray F Mason
  • Bob Lawrie
  • Robert McFarlane Lawrie
  • Donald Baillie
  • Max Wilksch
  • Samuel Telfer

References

External links

  • Council Website
  • Tumby Bay Site

Coordinates: 34°22′30″S 136°06′10″E / 34.375°S 136.102777778°E / -34.375; 136.102777778

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.