World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dubrovnik tram

Article Id: WHEBN0024367222
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dubrovnik tram  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Trams in Europe
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dubrovnik tram

Dubrovnik tram
Background
Locale Dubrovnik
Transit type Tram
Operation
Began operation December 10, 1910
Ended operation October 20, 1970

A tram network and services operated in the Croatian city of Dubrovnik from 1910 until 1970.

The first tram commenced operations on 10 December 1910 between the city gates at (Pile) and nearby port of Gruž, and expanded throughout its life with an extension of the original line to the Dubrovnik railway station, and a second line to Lapad.

The last full day of tram service was Friday 20 March 1970. The next morning on the 21st free rides were given to all as a final farewell to the old tramcars, several of which were the originals from 1910. Large crowds, mostly of locals, took advantage of their last chance to ride the trams which ran a special service between Lapad and the railway sttaion at Gruz. At noon a straggled procession was formed of the system's 9 remaining vehicles which filed one by one into the depot which shut its gates without ceremony at 1230. That was the end of the Dubrovnik trams.

Road transport services in the city are now exclusively operated by buses. The tramways carried around 100 million passengers during its six decades of existence.

It has now been established that the closure took place on March 20th. The free rides immediately prior to closure referred to above took place from 1000 to 1200on that day, just before the farewell tram procession which ended at 1230. March 21st previously mentioned as the closure date was actually the first day with no tram service. (This additional correction sourced from the June 1971 edition of 'Modern Tramway' magazine.)

External links

  • Dubrovnik tram
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.