World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Faculty of Medicine (UNAM)

Article Id: WHEBN0017630863
Reproduction Date:

Title: Faculty of Medicine (UNAM)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: National Autonomous University of Mexico
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Faculty of Medicine (UNAM)

Faculty of Medicine (UNAM)
Seal of the UNAM's Faculty of Medicine
Established 1553
Type Faculty
President Enrique Luis Graue Wiechers, PhD.
Location Mexico City,  Mexico
Colors Blue & Gold         
Website [1]

UNAM's Faculty of Medicine (Spanish:Facultad de Medicina) is responsible for imparting studies in the medical sciences. The faculty has undergraduate and graduate studies departments. It does joint teaching with some other faculties, mostly the Faculty of Science. It is one of the most recognized faculties in the University and in Mexico. Two recent rectors of the university have been former deans from the faculty.

History

The origin of the Faculty of Medicine of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, known by the acronym UNAM) dates back to the 16th century, with the foundation of the The Royal and Pontifical Mexico University (Spanish: Real y Pontificia Universidad de México). In fact, the first decree that authorizes their creation was promulgated by Philip II in 1547 and endorsed in 1551. Nevertheless, the compliance of procedures and the liberation of the corresponding funds postponed the start of their activities until January 1553. By some years, in the area of the medicine, the University was limited to offer incorporation of degrees of other universities that needed it.

The first degree of doctor in medicine was offered August 10, 1553 to Juan Blanco Alcázar.

The first course of medicine given in the The Royal and Pontifical Mexico University initiated its activities January 7, 1579.

The program of studies was adjusted to the one used in the University of Salamanca, just like the remainder of the regulatory activities of the The Royal and Pontifical Mexico University. Such program consisted of four years of studies. Subsequently, the students carried out a practice of two years next to a recognized doctor and only after finishing this requirement they would be able to opt for the degrees of licentiate, master and doctor.

In the middle of the 16th century a theoretical-practical model was imposed that included the dissection in corpse.

Following the closing of the university by Valentín Gómez Farías in 1883 the school survived in the form of several departments in charge of teaching medicine.Graduating in 1887 the first female doctor Matilde Montoya. It existed that way until 1902 when the university was reopened by Justo Sierra. The School acquired its Faculty status in 1960.

Staff & Organization

The faculty is run by the dean, currently Enrique Luis Graue Wiechers. The faculty is divided into departments, each with a head who resports to the faculty dean. The secretary of Medical education also has several departments which are responsible for one or more Subjects.

  • Department of Anatomy: responsible for the anatomy courses.
  • Department of Embryology: responsible for the embryology and clinical genetics courses.
  • Department of Cell and Histological Biology: responsible for the Histology course
  • Department of Biochemistry: responsible for the Biochemistry and Immunology courses
  • Department of Public Health: responsible for the Public Health courses.
  • Department of Pharmacology: responsible for the Farmacology courses.
  • Department of Physiology: responsioble for the physiology courses.
  • Department of Surgery: responsible for the Surgery courses.
  • Department of Microbiology and Parasitology: responsible for the Microbiology and Parasitology courses.

Location & Facilities

The Faculty is located in Ciudad Universitaria in Mexico City, near the Faculty of Chemistry and the Faculty of Odontology.

It consists of one main complex, divided into seven buildings, built when University City was opened. The faculty also has annexes at several hospitals in Mexico City's metropolitan area, most notably an annex at the General Hospital of Mexico, where the Department of Experimental Medicine is located.

It has one main library and several others used mostly for postgraduate studies.

Graduate Studies

It holds the Graduate program in medicine (MD) called "Titulo de Medico Cirujano" (Physician-Surgeon Diploma). This title however, is misleading, since a graduate from the Faculty of Medicine is a general practitioner and the degree is not equivalent to a residency in surgery.

Importance

In Mexico, the Faculty of Medicine UNAM is generally regarded as one of the most important, if not the most important of the country, it has several links with hospitals and communities, and its students are usually in communities for their social service.

The Faculty also is in charge of the National Exam of Medical Residencies (ENARM), which means that if any MD in Mexico wants to apply for a residency, they should apply in this faculty, it is regarded to be very hard, and students some times take a full year of study in order to pass it. Approximately 22,000 students present the exam and only 4,000 pass it every year.[1]

The school currently has two Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scholars and endowment from the NIH extramural research program.

Alumni

It is notable to say that a number of rectors of the University.

References

  1. ^ Imparte La Unam Curso Para Ingresar A Residencias Médicas Del Sector Salud | Biné
  2. ^ MGH Surgeons- Weight Loss Surgeons, Gastric Bypass Surgeons and more- MGH
  3. ^ Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center: Member Profile: Carlos Fernandez-del Castillo, M.D
  4. ^ MIT Medical - Clinical Staff - Carlos Fernandez del Castillo

External links

  • Official Website (Spanish)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.