World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Funiculars of Lyon

Article Id: WHEBN0005518388
Reproduction Date:

Title: Funiculars of Lyon  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rhônexpress, Fourvière, Timeline of Lyon, Transport in Lyon, Budapest Castle Hill Funicular
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Funiculars of Lyon

The Funiculars of Lyon (Funiculaires de Lyon) is a network of funicular railways in Lyon, France. Of the five lines once in existence, only the two routes on the Fourvière hill remain in operation, with the rest of the network now either closed, converted to road vehicle use, or integrated within the Lyon underground system.


  • History 1
  • Current lines 2
    • Route map 2.1
    • F1 (Saint-Jean - Saint-Just) 2.2
    • F2 (Saint-Jean - Fourvière) 2.3
  • Funicular cars in preservation 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5


No fewer than five funicular lines, nicknamed ficelles ("threads") were built.

  • The first line opened in 1862 and linked Rue Terme and Boulevard de la Croix Rousse. The funicular was closed and converted to a road tunnel in 1968.
  • The second line opened in 1891 and served the Butte de la Croix Rousse. The line was converted into a rack railway in 1972 and rebuilt and extended at both ends to become Line C of the Lyon Metro in 1978.
  • The third line opened in 1878 linking Saint-Jean to Saint-Just with an intermediate station at Minimes, climbing the Fourvière hill. The line was converted to a rack railway in 1901 and back to a funicular in 1958.
  • The fourth and fifth lines were opened in 1900, linking the Tour Metallique on Fourvière hill to Saint-Paul and the Basilica on Fourvière with Saint-Jean. The first was closed in 1937 and the second was modernised in 1970 with a change of gauge from 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in) to 1,300 mm (4 ft 3 316 in). The Fourvière - Saint-Jean line is 431 metres (1,414 ft) long with a 30% incline.

Both lines still in service were modernised again in 1986 and 1987. A new station at Saint-Jean was built in 1991 to serve the new Line D of the Metro and both funicular lines, and the whole complex named Vieux-Lyon.

Current lines

Route map

F1 (Saint-Jean - Saint-Just)

Funicular 1 of Lyon at Vieux-Lyon - Cathédrale Saint-Jean station.
Saint-Jean - Saint-Just 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in) metre gauge
Length 791 metres (2,595 ft)
Height 91.2 metres (299 ft)
Number of stops 3
Fleet 2 funicular cars
Capacity 216 passengers
Length of journey 3 minutes 20 seconds
Opening times 05:00 to 24:00
Frequency of services 5 to 10 minutes

F2 (Saint-Jean - Fourvière)

Funicular F2 at Vieux-Lyon - Cathédrale Saint-Jean station.
Saint-Jean - Fourvière 1,300 mm (4 ft 3 316 in)
Length 404 metres (1,325 ft)
Height 116 metres (381 ft)
Number of stops 2
Fleet 2 funicular cars
Capacity 70 passengers
Length of journey 2 minutes
Opening times 06:00 to 22:00
Frequency of services 5 to 10 minutes

Funicular cars in preservation

Funicular car n°1 is preserved at the AMTUIR. It operated on the single track line from Saint-Jean to the Basilique de Fourvière. The line it served on was modernised in 1970 and equipped with new cars.

The car was given to the AMTUIR (Musée des Transports Urbains) by the Transports en Commun de la Région Lyonnaise (TCRL) on 27 May 1970.

Tramcar n°11 data
Length 8.62 metres (28 ft 3 in)
Width 2.10 metres (6 ft 11 in)
Height 3.60 metres (11 ft 10 in)
Gross weight 6.2 t (6.1 long tons; 6.8 short tons)
Capacity 12/44
Current By pantograph for lighting only.
Gauge 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in) metre gauge

See also

External links

  • Plan of Lyon metro and funiculars
  • Picture library of transport in Lyon

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.