World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Marcin Szyszkowski

Article Id: WHEBN0027570434
Reproduction Date:

Title: Marcin Szyszkowski  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Archbishop of Kraków, Henryk Firlej, Mikołaj Szyszkowski, Roman Catholic Diocese of Lutsk
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Marcin Szyszkowski

Marcin II Szyszkowski of Ostoja Coat of Arms (1554 – 30 April, 1630)[1] was a notable Polish priest who attended the Jesuit school of Kalisz and became bishop of Lutsk, Płock and finally of Kraków. In the power of the Bishop of Kraków, he also became Prince of Siewierz.

Life and education

Szyszkowski was born into a noble family which was part of the Clan of Ostoja. After finishing Jesuit school, he furthermore studied in Krakow, Rome, Bologna and Padova. His great intellect and humanistic view helped him advance quickly. He became chancellor of Piotr Myszkowski, who was bishop of Krakow at the time, and he quickly advanced to the office of Bishop of Luck in 1604, the holy Catholic capital in the area named Christopolis.

On 18 November 1607 he became the Bishop of Płock . He translated a lot of work from Italian to Latin, and founded a Jesuit school in Płock in the year 1616. He finished the building of the Bishop Palace and in Pultusk; he also rebuilt the town castle, and opened a college for poor students.

Szyszkowki moved to Krakow in October 1616 and became Bishop of Krakow on the 3rd of June 1617. During his time as the Bishop of Krakow he opened several schools, churches, and chapels for the Franciscan monks. He was against the reforms and in his battle to preserve the Catholic Church he regained 37 churches for the cause. In the cathedral on Wawel in Krakow, present confession is in the form of a domed canopy made of black and rose marble, gilt-bronze and wood, which was created in the years 1626-1629 on Bishop Marcin Szyszkowski’s foundation.

The most popular sarcophaguses in the 17th century were in the form of busts of the deceased persons, in a style taking its origins from Rome. Four Baroque statues of the bishops of Cracow including Marcin Szyszkowski (made of black marble by Jan Trevano) were placed around St Stanislaus’ confession standing over the crypt in which the bishops are buried.

See also


  • Nowowiejski A. J., Płock. Monografia historyczna...., Płock 1990
  • Piotr Nitecki, Biskupi Kościoła w Polsce w latach 965 - 1999, ISBN 83-211-1311-7, Warszawa 2000.
  • Krzysztof Rafał Prokop: Sylwetki biskupów łuckich. Biały Dunajec: Ostróg : "Wołanie z Wołynia", 2001. ISBN 83-911918-7-7.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.