World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mering

Article Id: WHEBN0005602319
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mering  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Aichach-Friedberg, Friedberger Ach, Lechrain, Paar, Friedberg, Bavaria
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Mering

Mering
Coat of arms of Mering
Coat of arms
Mering   is located in Germany
Mering
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Bavaria
Admin. region Schwaben
District Aichach-Friedberg
Municipal assoc. Mering
Government
 • Mayor Hans-Dieter Kandler (SPD)
Area
 • Total 26.87 km2 (10.37 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 13,750
 • Density 510/km2 (1,300/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 86415
Dialling codes 08233
Vehicle registration AIC
Website www.mering.de

Mering is a municipality in the district Aichach-Friedberg, in Bavaria, Germany. It is located on the river Paar.

First mentioned in records in 1021, Mering has a long history.

The growing town with its more than 12700 inhabitants (2007) profits from its good location between Munich and Augsburg. Engine of this growing popularity is the main railway station which connects Mering directly within 30 minutes to Munich and within 15 minutes to Augsburg. Although it profits from being in easy reach of big cities, one can easily get anything in Mering, from ice cream to cars. Mering is a lovely small town with lots of shopping facilities within easy walking distance. Its motto is "Ihr Einkaufsort der kurzen Wege" (Your shopping centre of short distances).

Worth a visit is the baroque main Catholic church St. Michael built in 1789 with its magificant building and interior. A popular place is the recently redesigned main square (Marktplatz) with shops and restaurants in ancient buildings surrounding the fountain. Every Friday the local farmers' market takes place here when inhabitants and guests meet to buy fresh vegetables, fish and so on, or just relax by having a coffee.

Next to the river Paar, a nice area to go for a walk is by the old mill where the privately owned castle of Mering is located.

History

1021 was first mentioned documentary. It was a family possessions of the Swabian Guelph . In 1167 the Hohenstaufen Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa took by inheritance contract the Guelph house estates in Swabia, which have now been added to the Hohenstaufen house goods. With the beheading of the Holy Roman Emperor Conradin in 1268 the Bavarian dukes , who were endeavoring reached their sphere of influence in the Alemannic settlement area into - to move , for the first time in the possession of the house good Mering - up to the Lech.

Mering belonged to the Electorate of Bavaria Munich. 1838, the municipality Mering of King Ludwig I was awarded a coat of arms , which points to the former Guelph Castle and the Battle of Lechfeld in 955. On November 18, 1911 Mering was elevated to the class of markets with urban Constitution.

After 700 years of service to the Bavarian territory Mering came in 1944 , as part of the then independent district Friedberg (since the district reform in 1972, a part of the newly formed district Aichach -Friedberg ) within Bavaria again . Swabian in one part of the country In the catchment area Merings the so-called Lech Rainer dialect is spoken , a Swabian dialect with strong Bavarian strikes.

References

  1. ^ "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes".  

External links

  • official website of Mering


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.