Port Rickaby, South Australia

Port Rickaby
South Australia
Port Rickaby jetty
Coordinates

34°40′0″S 137°30′0″E / 34.66667°S 137.50000°E / -34.66667; 137.50000Coordinates: 34°40′0″S 137°30′0″E / 34.66667°S 137.50000°E / -34.66667; 137.50000

Postcode(s) 5576
LGA(s) District Council of Yorke Peninsula
State electorate(s) Goyder
Federal Division(s) Grey

Port Rickaby is a coastal town on the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia.

Port Rickaby is in the District Council of Yorke Peninsula, the state electoral district of Goyder and federal Division of Wakefield.

History

In 1876 the port was established as a shipping place and named after Thomas Rickaby, an early pioneer from Ireland. Thomas arrived in South Australia in 1858, joining the South Australian Mounted Police before resigning and settling on Yorke Peninsula, and was the first president of the Minlanton Agricultural Show.[1]

The greater area served by the point is known as Koolywurtie, which has an Aboriginal translation of "Where rocks meet the sea".

In 1879 a jetty was constructed to a length of 405 feet (123 m) at a cost of 1285 pounds. It was lengthened three times to a total length of 820 ft (250 m) in 1949.

The farmland served by the port was approximately 34,000 acres (140 km2). Bagged grain was brought in horse-drawn wagons, and later by motor truck to be weighed and stacked in large mouse-proof sheds and yards.

Much of the grain loaded into ketches, such as the Faile, Waimana, Coringle and Eva Lita was transferred into "WindJammers" with names such as the Passat, Kobenhaven and Pamir which were anchored off Port Victoria. These ships then made the overseas voyage via Cape horn to Europe. The last windjammer to leave was the Passat which departed on 2 June 1949. The last Windjammer to visit these waters was the five masted Kobenhaven in 1924 carrying 65000 bags of wheat (7091 tonnes)[2]

The jetty was also used for the unloading of fencing materials, cement, stock, cornsacks, and all the necessary items needed for a new settlement.

In 1964 the government of the day shortened the jetty to save on repair costs.

Gallery

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.