World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sinagua

Article Id: WHEBN0003014149
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sinagua  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: V-Bar-V Heritage Site, Cliff dwelling, Winonaite, History of Phoenix, Arizona, Cocopah
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sinagua

Historic view of the Sinagua cliff dwelling at Montezuma Castle National Monument. 1887
Sinagua petroglyphs at the V-bar-V petroglyph site
Lomaki Ruins, Wupatki National Monument.

The Sinagua were a pre-Columbian cultural group that occupied a large area in central Arizona from the Little Colorado River (near Flagstaff) to the Salt River (near Phoenix), including the Verde Valley and significant portions of the Mogollon Rim country, between approximately 500 AD and 1425 AD.

Early Sinagua sites consist mostly of pit houses, similar to the ones built by the Hohokam people of southern Arizona. Later structures more closely resemble the pueblo architecture practiced by other contemporaneous cultural groups occupying the southwestern United States. The Sinagua economy was based on a combination of hunter-gatherer foraging and subsistence agriculture.

The name Sinagua was coined by archaeologist Harold Colton, founder of the Museum of Northern Arizona, from the Spanish words sin meaning "without" and agua meaning "water", referring to the name originally given by Spanish explorers to the San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff, the "Sierra Sin Agua". The name reflects the surprise the Spanish felt that such large mountains did not have perennial rivers flowing from them, as is common in Spain.

Colton also distinguished between two different Sinagua cultures. The Northern Sinagua were loosely centered in the highlands around Flagstaff, with Walnut Canyon National Monument, Wupatki National Monument, and Elden Pueblo the best-known publicly accessible sites. The Southern Sinagua inhabited lower elevations across the Verde Valley of central Arizona; Montezuma Castle National Monument, Montezuma Well, Tuzigoot National Monument, Palatki and Honanki Archaeological Sites, and the V-Bar-V Petroglyph Site are notable localities open to the public.

The last known evidence of Sinagua occupation for any site comes from Montezuma Castle, around 1425 AD. Like other pre-Columbian cultures in the southwest, the Sinagua apparently abandoned their permanent settlements around this time, though the precise reasons for such a large-scale abandonment are not yet known; resource depletion, drought, and clashes with the newly arrived Yavapai people have been suggested. Several modern Hopi clans trace their ancestry to immigrants from the Sinagua culture, whom they believe left the Verde Valley for religious reasons.

Cliff dwellings of the Sinaguas

Cliff dwellings of the Sinaguas
Montezuma Well is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, reference #66000082. 
Cliff dwellings of the Sinagua people. 
Close up view of the Cliff dwellings of the Sinagua people. 
Diorama showing how the pre-Columbian Sinagua people may have lived in Montezuma Castle, a 22-room cliff dwelling located near Camp Verde, Arizona. The display and its contents are the work of an employee of the Bureau of Land Management. 
Pit House ruins of Sinagua people, which dates back to 1050 AD. The two largest holes in the dirt floor held the timber which supported the roof. The holes around the edge reveal the outline of the structure. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, reference #66000082. 
Ruins of a Sinagua house

See also

External links

  • Logan Museum – Ancient Cultures of the Southwest
  • Montezuma Castle National Monument
  • Museum of Northern Arizona
  • Palatki Archaeological Site
  • Selected, Annotated Bibliography of Southern Sinagua Archaeology
  • Tuzigoot National Monument
  • Wupatki National Monument
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.