World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Slavkov u Brna

Article Id: WHEBN0001262673
Reproduction Date:

Title: Slavkov u Brna  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Battle of Austerlitz, Current events/2005 December 2, Peregrin Obdržálek, Austerlitz, Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach
Collection: Cities and Towns in the Czech Republic, Shtetls
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Slavkov u Brna

Slavkov u Brna
Town
Castle
Flag
Coat of arms
Country Czech Republic
Region South Moravian
District Vyškov
Commune Slavkov u Brna
Elevation 211 m (692 ft)
Coordinates
Area 14.95 km2 (5.77 sq mi)
Population 6,456 (1.1.2015)
Density 432 / km2 (1,119 / sq mi)
First mentioned 1237
Mayor Ivan Charvát
Timezone CET (UTC+1)
 - summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 684 01
Location in the Czech Republic
Wikimedia Commons:
Statistics: statnisprava.cz
Website: www.slavkov.cz

Slavkov u Brna (Czech pronunciation: , i.e. Slavkov by Brno; historically known as Austerlitz) is a country town east of Brno in the South Moravian Region of the Czech Republic. Population: 6.456 (2011). The town is widely known for giving its name to the Battle of Austerlitz which actually took place several kilometres to the west of the town.

At the beginning of the 13th century, the Teutonic Order built a monastery stronghold whose remains can still be seen today in the vaults of the Austerlitz Palace. The first written testimony about the place date from 1237. The Czech name Slavkov is first documented in 1361, the German name Austerlitz in 1633 and is said to be a truncation of the Czech Novosedlice (Novosedlicz, Nausedlicz), which means "new settlement", although this cannot be clarified definitively. After the defeat of the Order in the Battle of Grunwald, the town became the property of a number of noble owners until, in 1509, the local gentry family of Kaunitz assumed control for more than 400 years. At the end of World War II, the ethnic German majority of residents were forcibly expelled.

Contents

  • Sightseeing 1
  • Monuments and sights of the Battle of Austerlitz 2
  • See also 3
  • People 4
  • External links 5

Sightseeing

  • Baroque Slavkov Castle has 115 rooms and an impressive garden in the French style. The Palace was designed by Italian architect Domenico Martinelli. In its historic salon, an armistice was signed between Austria and France after the battle of Austerlitz on 2 December, 1805. There is a small historic museum (only in Czech) and a multimedia presentation about the battle.
  • On the main square is a late Renaissance town hall and mansion. Parts of the old town wall can also be seen.
  • Church of the Resurrection of the Lord (on the south side of the main square). The classicist building with three pulpits was designed from 1786-1789 by the Viennese architect Johann Ferdinand Hetzendorf von Hohenberg.
  • Church of St. John the Baptist (in the cemetery). Beneath the church is a vault which contains the tombs of the Kaunitz family.
  • Chapel of St. Urbanus (to the north on the Urbanus hill). The chapel of 1712 was badly damaged during the battle of Austerlitz and had to be rebuilt during 1858-1861.
  • Jewish Heritage. Only the synagogue (built in 1858) remains from the Jewish ghetto. There is also a Jewish cemetery a little bit outside the town.

Monuments and sights of the Battle of Austerlitz

The battle of Austerlitz actually took place several kilometers to the west of Austerlitz. Public transport to the site is limited, and the landscape has preserved its bucolic aspects. Agriculture still dominates the hilly terrain which has not changed much (apart from the sprawl of the villages). A highway bisects the battlefield.

  • The Old Post (stará pošta) in Kovalovice is an original period building dating from 1785, which now serves as a hotel and restaurant. On 28 November 1805 the French cavalry general Murat set up his headquarters here. On the day of battle, the Russian general Bagration had his headquarters here. After the battle, Napoleon slept in this house and held preliminary negotiations about an armistice. A small museum is dedicated to commemorate these events.
  • On Santon hill to east of Tvarožná village is a small white chapel. The hill was a mainstay of the French position and allowed the French artillery to dominate the northern portion of the battlefield. Below the hill, the yearly historical reenactments take place.
  • On Žuráň hill Napoleon Bonaparte had his headquarters. A granite monuments depicts the battlefield positions.
  • In Šlapanice village a number of mass graves with a monument can be seen.
  • The Peace Memorial (mohyla míru) on Prace hill. The memorial near Prace village has been designed and built in Art-Nouveau style by Josef Fanta, an architect from Prague, during 1910–1912. The First World War postponed its inauguration until 1923. It is 26 m high, square, with four female statues symbolizing France, Austria, Russia and Moravia. Within is a chapel with an ossuary. A small museum commemorates the battle. Every year, the events of the battle of Austerlitz are commemorated in a ceremony.
  • Near Křenovice village stands a weathered peace cross.
  • The Old Vineyards (staré vinohrady) near Blažovice saw the bloody collision of the French and Russian guards. Today, a new Monument to the Three Emperors has been erected.

Much in the same way that in London, the English have named Waterloo station to commemorate the Waterloo victory, the French gave the name of Austerlitz to one of the major Parisian train stations, the Gare d'Austerlitz. There is also a Quai d'Austerlitz in the XIIIth arrondissement of Paris. In the Netherlands a small village was founded in commemoration of the battle, see: Austerlitz (Netherlands).

See also

People

External links

  • Official Site of Slavkov
  • Austerlitz 2005 - Informationen about Slavkov
  • Website with details of the town, and picture of monument
  • Official Website of Austerlitz Castle
  • Jewish Encyclopedia
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.