World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Trams in Fontainebleau

Article Id: WHEBN0005517554
Reproduction Date:

Title: Trams in Fontainebleau  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tram transport in France, Trams in Caen, Funiculaire du Havre, Trams in Nice, Funiculaire de Pau
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Trams in Fontainebleau

Plan of the Tramway de Fontainebleau in 1940.

Trams in Fontainebleau (CTF) was the public transit system in Fontainebleau, France from 1896 until 1953. At its greatest extent the network comprised three lines.

History

As a royal town, Fontainebleau benefited from an early Metre gauge tram system. The first tramline linked the Château to the train station, and opened on 29 September 1896. On 20 August 1899 an extension was opened to Vulnaines. The third tramline to Samois opened in 1913.

The initial fleet consisted of eight small two-bogie tramcars, capable of carrying 36 passengers, plus six trailers. The motor cars were equipped with two 25 hp motors which gave them relatively high power. In 1910, three more tramcars were bought (numbered 12 to 14); these possessed a Brill truck 2.4 m wide, and were capable of carrying 39 passengers.

In 1924 the CTF purchased four tramcars from the Tramway de Melun, these were subsequently sold to the Tramway de Cannes after a fire had destroyed most of Cannes' fleet.

The extensions to Vulaines and Samois closed in 1937 and the oldest tramcars were scrapped. The following fifteen years were uneventful and no changes to operations were made. Even though the tramway was generally well kept, the bus was proving to be easier to operate and the tram closed on 31 December 1953.

Tramcars in preservation

Fontainebleau tramcar n° 11 is currently preserved in Paris by AMTUIR.

The car was put into service around 1900 on the Tramway de Melun and was one of the batch purchased by Fontainebleau in 1910; it was withdrawn in 1945.

The tramcar was rescued from a scrapyard in Maisons-Alfort and preserved on 26 October 1957.

Tramcar n°11 data
Length 6.74 m
Width 2.04 m
Height 3 m
Gross weight 2 t
Type Open door closed carriage
Capacity 26/30
Braking Hand brake
Gauge 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in)
Builder Société de Construction de Matériel de Transports de Douai.

References

  • "Histoire des Transports dans les Villes de France", Jean ROBERT

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.