World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Łęknica

Article Id: WHEBN0004915921
Reproduction Date:

Title: Łęknica  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Żary County, Lubusz Voivodeship, Muskau Park, List of divided cities, Bad Muskau
Collection: Cities and Towns in Lubusz Voivodeship, Germany–poland Border Crossings, Żary County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Łęknica

Łęknica
Rectory in Łęknica
Rectory in Łęknica
Flag of Łęknica
Flag
Coat of arms of Łęknica
Coat of arms
Łęknica is located in Poland
Łęknica
Coordinates:
Country  Poland
Voivodeship Lubusz
County Żary
Gmina Łęknica (urban gmina)
Area
 • Total 16.4 km2 (6.3 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Total 2,641
 • Density 160/km2 (420/sq mi)
Postal code 68-208
Website http://www.leknica.pl

Łęknica (German: Lugknitz; Upper Sorbian: Wjeska) is a border town in western Poland, one of the two gminas of Żary County in Lubusz Voivodeship.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • Mużakowski Park 3
  • External links 4

Geography

The town is situated in the Polish part of the historic Upper Lusatia region, in the broad valley of the Neisse river, which forms the border with Germany. A bridge across the river connects it with the opposite German town of Bad Muskau, another border crossing in the south leads to Krauschwitz. Łęknica's population numbers 2,648 (2004).

Muskau Park (Park Mużakowski), a Polish-German World Heritage Site, stretches north of the town centre.

History

The area along the Neisse river was already settled in the Bronze Age. While neighbouring Muskau was already mentioned in 1249 and was awarded city rights in 1452, the village of Lugnitz was first documented in 1505, then part of the Muskau state country.

According to the 1635 Peace of Prague, Lugknitz together with Upper Lusatia passed from the Bohemian Crown to the Electorate of Saxony. Upon the Congress of Vienna in 1815, it was ceded to Prussia and incorporated into the Province of Silesia. About 1880 it was still a small Sorbian agricultural village, one of only two Sorbian-speaking settlements east of the Neisse river, the other being Braunsdorf (Brunojcy). That changed with the turn of century, when industry was established on the Neisse. Brown coal started to be mined. Based on rich clay deposits, ceramic companies emerged and also glass factories.

During World War II, 70% of the city was destroyed, as well as much of the industry (brown coal mine "Babina" from 40%, glassworks 30% and slate factories 50%). The town was separated from Bad Muskau by the new state border along the Oder–Neisse line, the remaining German population was expelled and the place was gradually settled with Polish military veterans, refugees, people returning from forced labour, people repatriated from France, Belgium and in 1958 18 families repatriated from the USSR settled in the city.

The settlement changed name several times, Łuknica in 1945–1947, then Ługnica and Łęknice. It received the name Łęknica in 1956 and obtained town privileges in 1969.

Mużakowski Park

External links

  • Official town webpage
  • Satellite photo from Google Maps

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.