World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Šechtl and Voseček

Article Id: WHEBN0003432897
Reproduction Date:

Title: Šechtl and Voseček  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sokol, Ignác Šechtl, Marie Šechtlová, Oskar Nedbal, Josef Jindřich Šechtl
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Šechtl and Voseček

The photographic studio Šechtl and Voseček was founded in Tábor (Bohemia) in 1888 by Ignác Šechtl, who accepted his assistant Jan Voseček as co-member of his photographic studio.

The history of Šechtl & Voseček Studios goes back to 1863, when Ignác Schächtl (1840 – 1911) made the decision to leave his work as a clerk in Prague, to study the new craft of photography, in Kladno. After training, he opened a studio in Plzeň. In 1869, he decided to leave the city and become an itinerant photographer. He tried his luck in Bucharest in 1871, and later in Nepomuk and Prachatice. Several significant photographs remain from this period. One unique work that has survived is a photomontage, achieved by double exposure, depicting Ignác Šechtl both as laboratory worker, and retouching a photo, in the same picture.

In 1876, aged 36, Ignác Schächtl finally settled in Tábor, and officially opened his studio at house #333 on Maria Square (today Nicholas of Hus Square). His son, Josef Jindřich, was born in 1877. Family tradition says that the same day, in a pub, Šechtl met the commercial traveller, Jan Voseček (1851 – 1936), who very soon became almost a part of the family.

A very important phase in the history of the studio was the period of cooperation with the first photographer in Tábor, Alexander Seik (1824 – 1905), which was officially announced in 1878. From this, Ignác Šechtl got clients, and money to buy modern equipment. After the “united photographic studio” with Seik was dissolved, in 1888, Ignác Schächtl took Jan Voseček into partnership, and the firm became known as "Schächtl & Voseček", later renamed to "Šechtl & Voseček".

Josef Jindřich Šechtl (1877 – 1954) continued his father's tradition. In 1907 he commenced the building of a modern photographic studio in the main street, where the Hotel Palcát now stands. Josef Jindřich Šechtl was famous for his quality portraits and group photographs. Many of the famous people who visited Tábor at this time were also photographed in the Šechtl and Voseček studios. As with his father, his passion was photojournalism, and he has provided us with a unique photo documentary of his time. Thanks to his attention to detail, his reputation grew, and the family business blossomed.

Josef Šechtl (1925 – 1992) and his wife Marie Šechtlová (*1928) took over the studio in 1944. Marie in particular, brought a feminine emotive element to their work. In the 1960s, she was among the most successful photographers of “the poetry of the everyday”. Following the nationalisation of the studio by the Communist government in 1953, they continued working as freelance photographers, mounting many exhibitions and producing a number of publications, including Tábor, Jižní Čechy, Hradec Králové, and Loutky. Together, they were a team of art photographers, pioneering color photography, and the use of large photographs for interior decoration.

Digitizing the archive

A project of digitizing the archive of Šechtl and Voseček's photographs aims to make available online some 10,000 preserved glass plate negatives from 1860 to 1950s, hundreds of 35mm films (1930 to 1950s), and thousands of medium- and large-format images.

The small Šechtl & Voseček Museum of Photography has been created, in cooperation with the Škrla family, at their site on Nicholas of Hus Square. This presents the project of digitizing the archive. Three times a year, the museum prepares a themed exhibition of 80–100 pictures, to share this record of the history of Tábor and of photography.

External links

  • Project of digitalizing the archive of Šechtl and Voseček studios
  • Šechtl and Voseček Museum of Photography
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.