World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Anare

Article Id: WHEBN0001164127
Reproduction Date:

Title: Anare  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Davis Station, Mawson Station, Law Islands, Williams Rocks, Mount Menzies, Napier Mountains, Kilby Island, List of Antarctic expeditions, Vostok traverse, Snow Trac
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Anare

The Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE, /æn.ˈɑr/ ) is the historical name for the Australian Antarctic Program (AAp) administered for Australia by the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD).

The ANARE Name

The name ANARE fell out of official use in the early 2000s. However current and former Australian Antarctic expeditioners continue to use the term informally as a means of identification with the long and continuous history of Australian expeditions to Antarctica. Australia has had a long involvement in south polar regions since as early as Douglas Mawson's Australasian Antarctic Expedition expedition in 1911. Further Australian exploration of the Antarctic continent was conducted during the British Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition (BANZARE), which was conducted over the years 1929-1931. The Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions were established in 1947 with expeditions to Macquarie Island and Heard Island. In 1948 the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) was established to administer the expedition program.

ANARE Symbols

Soon after being appointed Antarctic Division director in 1949, Dr. Phillip Law saw the need for a recognisable symbol for the fledgling ANARE. His wife, Nel, was an artist and produced the distinctive and enduring circular emblem that Dr Law described as "...a circular badge whose centre is the Antarctic Continent with the Australian sector shaded. Surrounding this is an annular set of designs depicting flora and fauna of Antarctica and the Sub-Antarctic Islands".

The main ANARE emblem was, in Dr Law's words, "too complex to reproduce as a lapel badge or as a logo on aircraft, vehicles or flags." Dr Law saw potential in the Leopard Seal as a simplified ANARE symbol. "I was struck with the possibility of formalising a sketch of the creature to produce a geometrical pattern of straight lines....I drew it in the national colours of gold and green." That symbol served until 1985, when a new 'globe' logo based on the Australian and Antarctic continents was developed by the AAD (Bowden, 'The Silence Calling' 1997: 373).

At the same time the term ANARE fell out of official use the 'globe' logo was also discarded in favour of the Australian coat of arms to bring the livery of the AAD in line with the rest of the Australian Public Service. However like the ANARE name the logo continues to be used on an informal basis by expeditioners each year in the production of Antarctic Station badges, T-Shirts and other memorabilia.

ANARE Club

The ANARE Club is a membership organisation established in 1951 for current and previous members of Australian Antarctic expeditions. Its head quarters are based in Melbourne, Australia with branches in most Australian capital cities. Membership is open to anyone who has travelled to Antarctic or subantarctic regions with the Australian Antarctic Program. It provides a social focus for current and former expeditioners. The club's membership is well over 1,000. Its emblem is the Emperor penguin on a map of Antarctica.

See also

References

Tim Bowden, The Silence Calling: Australians in Antarctica 1947-97: the ANARE Jubilee History (St Leonards: Allen & Unwin, 1997).

External links

  • Australian Antarctic Division
  • ANARE Club
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.