World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ambassador Cinema

Article Id: WHEBN0004162135
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ambassador Cinema  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cinema of Ireland, Parnell Square, List of Irish theatres and theatre companies, Irish Film Institute, Savoy Cinema
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Ambassador Cinema

Ambassador Cinema
  • Rotund Room
  • Ambassador Theatre
Address 165 Parnell Street, Dublin 1
Current use Event & exhibition space
  • 1764 (1764) (building)
  • 1897 (as cinema)
Closed 1999 (as cinema)
Ambassador Cinema old sign
Ambassador Cinema

The Ambassador Cinema was Dublin's longest-running cinema and was operational on and off until 1999. It operated as a music venue between 2001 and 2008. The Ambassador's current use is as an exhibition hall & event centre.

The building was constructed as part of the Rotunda Hospital in 1764 as an assembly hall and social rooms on what is now called Parnell Street.

From 1897 onwards, the venue was given the name Rotund Room and hosted a number of "moving picture" screenings which were a great novelty at the time. From about 1908 onwards, it was used more regularly to show film presentations and in 1910 it became a full-time cinema, with 736 seats, a basic layout at the time.

Again known as the Rotunda (its nickname being the 'Roto' or the 'Roxy'), the cinema-going public thronged to the venue. Over the years, the cinema changed hands until the 1940s when it was run by Capitol and Allied Theatres Ltd.

In the 1950s, the cinema was redesigned, increasing the capacity to 1,200. Added to the main hall was a balcony (containing 500 seats) with private boxes. A new entrance area was also constructed. The cinema was re-opened on 23 September 1954 as the Ambassador. It became a gala event venue, holding screenings of many films for the first time. Of note was the screening of The Blue Max in 1966, which was shot in Ireland. For the screening, a World War I plane adorned the roof of the cinema above the entrance.

In 1977, the cinema was forced to close briefly, but it reopened that summer under new ownership. The Green Group ran the cinema until 1988, and the cinema mainly played children's films such as The Care Bears Movie and its sequels. In 1988, with single-screen cinemas on the wane, it closed.

However, in 1994 it was given a new lease of life when it reopened under the ownership of Ward Anderson. Notable screenings upon reopening included Titanic, however, attendances were poor, most notably when a reissue of the 1935 film The Informer was screened to as few as two people per show. On 27 September 1999, after 45 years, the cinema closed.

This however was not the end of the venue. Entertainment promoters MCD Productions leased the building and for a number of years ran The Ambassador as a live music venue, until 2008. The Ambassador now hosts a variety of events including exhibitions, one off concerts and corporate events.

Recent events include Bodies exhibition, CSI: The Experience, Dinosaur Encounters, Princess Exhibition, Game On, Santa's Playland, Xbox launch, Jameson Live presents White Lies, and running from Spring to Summer 2014, Lego exhibition The Art Of The Brick.

External links

  • Ambassador Theatre & Event Centre website
  • Guide to venue on Ticketmaster
  • Reviews of various concerts in Ambassador Theatre, Dublin
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.