World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0005109986
Reproduction Date:

Title: Annaburg  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Plossig, 1942 AL Record vs. opponents, Michael Stifel, Bethau, Axien
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Coat of arms of Annaburg
Coat of arms
Annaburg   is located in Germany
Country Germany
State Saxony-Anhalt
District Wittenberg
 • Mayor Erich Schmidt (SPD)
 • Total 224.19 km2 (86.56 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 7,094
 • Density 32/km2 (82/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 06922, 06925
Dialling codes 035385, 035386
Vehicle registration WB

Annaburg (   ) is a small town in Wittenberg district in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It was the seat of the former Verwaltungsgemeinschaft Annaburg-Prettin.


  • Constituent communities 1
  • History 2
  • Personalities 3
  • References 4
  • External links 5

Constituent communities

Annaburg has two centres, one also called Annaburg, and the other Purzien.


In the 13th century, the Ascanians built a hunting lodge on the site of today's Annaburg. This stately edifice, however, burnt down in 1422. Duke Albrecht III of Saxony-Wittenberg found himself inside the lodge when it caught fire. He and his wife escaped through a window clad only in their night clothes. The fire killed many of Albrecht's entourage, and indeed it claimed his life too, a few days later as a result of his injuries. This actually influenced the region's history, as Albrecht had no heir. With his death, the Ascanian dynasty came to an end.

In 1498, a zoölogical garden was built.

Until 1572, Annaburg was called Lochau and was, until it was abolished for good in 1821, the seat of the Amt of Annaburg. In 1550, Lochau was home to 40 men who owned land, among them eight draught cattle raisers, one feudal judge, nine gardeners and 22 "suburbanites" who lived somewhere just outside Lochau.

The first Saxon court pharmacy is also to be found in Annaburg.

The Elector August's wife was Anna of Denmark), Danish King Christian III's daughter. For her, the stately home – and thereby also the town – were renamed. Since 1762, the aforesaid residence has been the site of a military youth institute in which more than 500 pupils aged 11 to 15 have been educated for free by military personnel of Protestant (evangelisch) faith. Furthermore, there existed another junior officer preparatory school in a newly built barracks.

In July 1754, Johann Christian Noack, "der Malificant" (i.e. "the Wrongdoer") was put to death on the breaking wheel and left there to deter others from a life of evil deeds. It was one of the last such executions.

From 1780, the Amt actuary, Christian August Seidel, ran a mulberry orchard in Annaburg.

After losing town rights in the 17th century, they were granted Annaburg once again in 1939.

In 1942, Annaburg served as the holding camp of Indian POWs of the British Indian Army, captured in the North African campaigns. This was done at the behest of the Indian nationalist leader, Subhas Chandra Bose; and as a staging ground to create a Free India Legion (eventually absorbed under oath to the German army) to fight for Indian independence from British rule.



  1. ^ "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden – Stand: 31.12.2013" (PDF).  

External links

  • Official website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.