World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Baton Rouge National Cemetery

Article Id: WHEBN0004594331
Reproduction Date:

Title: Baton Rouge National Cemetery  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: John A. Wilson (sculptor), Louisiana in the American Civil War, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Baton Rouge National Cemetery

Baton Rouge National Cemetery
Baton Rouge National Cemetery is located in Louisiana
Baton Rouge National Cemetery
Location 220 North 19th Street
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Coordinates
Area 7.7 acres (3.1 ha)
Built 1867
Architectural style Colonial Revival
Governing body VETERANS ADMINISTRATION
MPS Civil War Era National Cemeteries MPS
NRHP Reference #

97000768

[1]
Added to NRHP July 09, 1997

Baton Rouge National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located in East Baton Rouge Parish, in the city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It encompasses 7.7 acres (3.1 ha), and as of the end of 2005, had 5,459 interments.

History

Massachusetts Monument by John Wilson Baton Rouge National Cemetery

Burials in the cemetery grounds took place as early as 1830, but the site was predominantly used during the Civil War to bury soldiers who died in Baton Rouge and the surrounding battlefields, including Plaquemine and Camden. It became an official National Cemetery in 1867, and rewards were given to anyone who reported the grave of a Union soldier, so that his remains could be reinterred in the cemetery.

In 1878 two men, Michael and Bernard Jodd, were hired to build a brick wall around the cemetery, but before it was completed, both men contracted yellow fever and died. They were interred in the cemetery and the wall was completed by local laborers.

Notable interments

See also

References

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  

External links

  • National Cemetery Administration
  • Baton Rouge National Cemetery
  • Civil War Era National Cemeteries
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.