World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bracław Voivodeship

 

Bracław Voivodeship

Bracław Voivodeship
Polish: Województwo bracławskie
Voivodeship of Poland¹

1566–1795  

Coat of arms of Bratslav

Coat of arms

Location of Bratslav
The Bracław Voivodeship (red) in
the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1635.
Capital Bratslav
History
 •  Established 1566
 •  Third partition 24 October 1795
Area 31,660 km2 (12,224 sq mi)
Political subdivisions counties: 2 (3 since 1791)
¹ Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Voivodeship of Grand Duchy of Lithuania before 1569.

The Bracław Voivodeship (Polish: Województwo bracławskie) was a unit of administrative division and local government in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from 1566 until 1569 (see: Union of Lublin), and of the Kingdom of Poland from 1569 until 1793/1795. Together with the Podole Voivodeship it formed the historical province of Podolia. As part of Podolia Eyalet, it was also managed by the Ottomans between 1672 (see: Treaty of Buchach) and 1699 (see: Treaty of Karlowitz). The voivodeship was part of Lesser Poland Province of the Polish Crown.

Officially, the capital of the voivodeship was in Braclaw, but local voivodes also resided in Winnica. It was divided into County of Braclaw and County of Winnica. The County of Braclaw itself was divided into two districts—Braclaw and Zwinogrodek (some sources claim there was a separate County of Zwinogrodek). In 1791, the Great Sejm also created Boh County (Polish: powiat nadbohski), but it was never created due to the Polish–Russian War of 1792. Braclaw Voivodeship had two senators - the Voivode and the Castellan of Braclaw. It also had six deputies to the Sejm—two from Braclaw County, two from Winnica County, and two from District of Zwinogrodek. Local sejmiks took place in Winnica. Today the region belongs to Ukraine.

Zygmunt Gloger in his monumental book Historical Geography of the Lands of Old Poland gives a detailed description of Braclaw Voivodeship:

After the Union of Lublin, the province of Podolia was annexed by the Kingdom of Poland. Soon afterwards, Ukrainian Podolia, located lower than Podole Voivodeship, between the Dniestr and the Boh rivers, was turned into Braclaw Voivodeship. It had three castles at Braclaw, Winnica and Zwinogrod (...) In 1570, a special royal commission was created to mark the borders of the voivodeship. Its western boundary was marked by the Murachwa river, and in the southeast, it was separated from Wallachia by the Dniestr. The commission marked northern border of the voivodeship along the Black Tatar Trail, and to settle arguments between Braclaw and Kijow Voivodeships, King Stefan Batory in 1584 stated that boundary line was to be marked by the Uhorski Tykicz river (...)
In the late 16th century, most of Braclaw Voivodeship was a depopulated starostas, voivodes, nobility, sejmiks, and courts (...)
The County of Winnica was smaller, but more populated. It had the area of 200 sq. miles, in northwestern corner of the voivodeship, along the Boh river. The County of Braclaw had the area of 420 sq. miles, and consisted of two districts - Braclaw and Zwinogrod. The district of Zwinogrod covered the desert of the Blue Waters (see also Battle of Blue Waters), but due to destruction of the Zwinogrod Castle, it did not emerge as a separate county (...) In 1584, Stefan Batory divided this area between Braclaw and Kijow Voivodeship, along the Uhorski Tykicz river (...)
In 1569, first voivode of Braclaw was Prince Roman Sanguszko, while first castellan was Knyaz Jedrzej Kapusta. In 1589 Polish Sejm ordered that all official documents in Braclaw Voivodeship should be written in Old East Slavic language (...) The voivodeship had two senators (the voivode and the castellan of Braclaw), six deputies to the Sejm, and two deputies to the Lesser Poland Tribunal at Lublin. Furthermore, like in neighbouring Podole Voivodeship, Braclaw had its own border judges, who cooperated with officials of the Ottoman Porte and the Crimean Khanate, solving conflicts between citizens of the two countries (...)
In 1598 the Sejm ordered that all courts and sejmiks be moved from Braclaw to Winnica. As a result, Winnica became to be regarded the capital of the voivodeship. Since in the 18th century the population of the region grew, in 1791 the Sejm created another county, called Boh County, increasing number of deputies from the voivodeship from six to eight. After the Partitions of Poland, Russian authorities created Braclaw Governorate (1793 - 1796), whose lands were then divided between Podolia Governorate, Volhynian Governorate, and Kiev Governorate (...)
According to the 1625 census, Braclaw Voivodeship had 285 villages, but its population grew so fast that in the early 1790s, the number of villages grew to 1,500 (...) Before the Union of Lublin, there were some 30 castles, forts and strongholds in the province. Fifty years after the union, the number of castles grew significantly. Most of them were private, with the strongest one being Uman (...) In the 18th century, the voivodeship had several grand residences of Polish magnates, among them was Zofiowka of the Potocki family, located in close proximity to Uman.

Contents

  • Municipal government 1
  • Administrative division 2
  • Voivodes 3
  • Neighbouring Voivodeships and regions 4
  • Sources 5

Municipal government

Voivodeship Governor (Wojewoda) seat:

Regional council (sejmik generalny) for all Ruthenian lands

Regional council (sejmik poselski i deputacki) seats:

Administrative division

  • Bracław County (Powiat bracławski), Bracław (Bratslav)
  • Winnica County (Powiat winnicki), Winnica (Vinnytsia)
  • Zwinogrodek District or Zwinogrodek County (powiat zwinogrodzki),
  • Boh County (powiat nadbohski), created in 1791,

Voivodes

Neighbouring Voivodeships and regions

Sources

  • Braclaw Voivodeship, description by Zygmunt Gloger

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.