World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Center of New Industries and Technologies

Article Id: WHEBN0001544497
Reproduction Date:

Title: Center of New Industries and Technologies  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Esso Tower, Poster session, Puteaux, Buildings and structures in Paris, Japan Expo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Center of New Industries and Technologies

The CNIT

The Center of New Industries and Technologies (French: Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies, better known as the CNIT), located in Puteaux, France, is one of the first buildings built in La Défense in Paris, France. It functions as convention center, though it also houses shops and offices such as Fnac (a media and electronics retailer found throughout France), ESSEC Business School campus for executive education, as well as a Hilton hotel.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Construction of the La Defense plaza 1.1
    • Refurbished in 1988 1.2
    • Refurbished in 2009 1.3
    • Architecture & Engineering 1.4

History

The initial of the building took place between 1956 and 1958 with the first concrete poured on May 8. Its architects were Robert Edouard Camelot, Jean de Mailly, Bernard Zehrfuss accompanied by the engineer Jean Prouvé for the exterior. The structural engineer for the concrete shell was Nicolas Esquillan.

At the time of its construction, the La Defense business district did not exist and the site for the building was at the roundabout or "rond point" of La Defense where the old Zodiac Aerospace factory was situated. The site was named for a statue called "La Defense De Paris" by the sculptor Louis-Ernest Barrias which was situated on a natural hill between the towns of Puteaux and Courbevoie. This statue, originally erected in 1883, has now been moved to the west of the La Defense plaza.

Originally conceived as an exhibition center for the French machine tools industry, the building was inaugurated by General, and soon to be President, Charles de Gaulle on 12 September 1958.

Construction of the La Defense plaza

In 1978 a great plaza was constructed next to the site of the CNIT building. The newly raised pedestrian precinct covered the railway station, all of the tracks and a good third of the height of the CNIT building. The entrance ways, characterized by rectangular blocks, were removed.

The La Defense plaza now covers a large area to the south of this building and is three stories above ground level.

Refurbished in 1988

During 1988 the space covered by the CNIT building was completely emptied and refurbished to encompass 200,000 square meters instead of the initial 100,000 square meters. Only the vault was retained from the original construction. The internal structure which now contained new offices and a luxury hotel (currently the Paris La Defense Hilton) were radically changed.

Refurbished in 2009

A major refurbishment of the CNIT was finished in summer 2009 increasing the public space within the building by the re-opening of the lower floor which now contains new shops and restaurants. During this work, some of the more esthetic features of the 1988 redesign, including the striking triangular door handles that copied the shape of the building were lost to more modern but otherwise unremarkable fittings.

Architecture & Engineering

This building is notable for being the largest unsupported concrete span enclosed space in the world. Its triangular structure is supported on three points that are two hundred and eighteen meters (715') apart. The centre of the roof is more than forty six meters (151') above the ground. Situated on the northern side of the La Defense plaza, this is one

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.