World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Church of Our Lady (Kortrijk)

Article Id: WHEBN0018783723
Reproduction Date:

Title: Church of Our Lady (Kortrijk)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Theodore Augustine Mann, Church of Our Lady, André Beauneveu
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Church of Our Lady (Kortrijk)

Church of Our Lady (Kortrijk)
Church of Our Lady Kortrijk
Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk Kortrijk (with remains of the medieval Castle (23 nov 2004))
Country Belgium
Denomination Roman Catholic Church
Founded 1199
Heritage designation Monument
Style Roman architecture

The Church of Our Lady in Kortrijk was built in 1199 established by count Baldwin I of Constantinople. The church is situated in the historic city centre of Kortrijk.


This church has a long construction history that began in the 13th century. The church played a mayor role in the history of the County of Flanders. The church was situated within the domain of the Counts of Flanders which was, except the part along the River Lys, fully walled. The church was part of the first castle of Kortrijk.

After the Battle of the Golden Spurs in 1302, which took place nearby on the Groeningekouter, the Flemish people hung 500 Golden Spurs of killed French knights on the ceiling of the church. Mercenaries took them away, in 1382 after the Battle of Roosebeke. They were replaced by replicas which can still be seen in the church.

In 1370, Count Louis II of Flanders had the Count’s chapel built to be a mausoleum for he himself and to honour the holy Catharina. The Chapel contains paintings of all the rulers of Flanders.

During the 15th century, the church was renovated. The castle wasn't restored and the domain was parcelled out (O.L.V.-straat, Konventstraat, Guido Gezellestraat, Kapittelstraat and Pieter de Cockelaerestraat). Only the church, the Broeltowers and the Artillery tower are the remains of the medieval castle.

In 1797, French troops invaded the church and together with 12 convents, chapels and churches, the church was sold. Thanks to the concordate between Napoleon Bonaparte and Pope Pius VII, the church became the parish church of the parish of Our Lady.

Guido Gezelle was priest of this parish between 1872 and 1889.


  • The interior of the church is in rich, Baroque style from the 17th century.
  • The church also contains other important treasures such as Anthony van Dyck’s Raising of the Cross.

External links

  • Church of Our Lady Kortrijk

Coordinates: 50°49′45″N 3°16′2″E / 50.82917°N 3.26722°E / 50.82917; 3.26722

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.