World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Churches of Peace

UNESCO World Heritage Site
Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica
Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List
Świdnica/Schweidnitz
Type Cultural
Criteria iii, iv, vi
Reference 1054
UNESCO region Europe and North America
Inscription history
Inscription 2001 (25th Session)
Churches of Peace is located in Poland
Location of Churches of Peace in Poland.

The Churches of Peace (Polish: Kościoły Pokoju, German: Friedenskirchen) in Jawor (German: Jauer) and Świdnica (German: Schweidnitz) in Silesia were named after the Peace of Westphalia of 1648.

It permitted the Lutherans in the Roman Catholic parts of Silesia to build three churches from wood, loam and straw outside the city walls, without steeples and church bells. The construction time was limited to one year.

Since 2001, the two remaining churches are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Gallery 2
    • Świdnica 2.1
    • Jawor 2.2
  • Surroundings 3
  • Bibliography 4
  • External links 5

History

Despite the physical and political constraints, three of the churches became the biggest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe due to pioneering constructional and architectural solutions.

The church in Legnica (then German Liegnitz) of 1664 was replaced in 1855–1856 by Adolf Alexander Lummert.

By that time, the town had been part of the Lutheran Kingdom of Prussia for about a century. Another 100 years later, in 1945, the town became part of Poland, as a result of the Potsdam Agreement.

The similar church, erected in Głogów (then German Glogau) burned down in 1758, but the one in Świdnica, under the invocation of the Holy Trinity, survived like the one in Jawor. Both were restored by a Polish–German cooperation, and recognized by UNESCO in 2001.

Gallery

Świdnica

Jawor

Surroundings

Bibliography

  • Worthmann, L., Führer durch die Friedenskirche zu Schweidnitz. Breslau 1929
  • Kalinowski, Konstanty, Barock in Schlesien. München 1990. ISBN 3-422-06047-2.

External links

  • Church Of Peace in Jawor - photo gallery
  • Church of Peace in Świdnica (Polish)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.