World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Episcopal Church of the Mediator (Bronx, New York)

Article Id: WHEBN0021485188
Reproduction Date:

Title: Episcopal Church of the Mediator (Bronx, New York)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kingsbridge, Bronx, Henry Vaughan (architect), Church of the Mediator
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Episcopal Church of the Mediator (Bronx, New York)

The Episcopal Church of the Mediator is an Episcopal parish church in the Kingsbridge section of The Bronx, New York.

The parish was formed on August 15, 1855, as The Church of the Mediator, Yonkers. Two years later, the first church for the parish was constructed at the cost of $5,000. The church was consecrated by Bishop Horatio Potter on November 6, 1864.[1]

In 1913, the parish opted to create a new church. Henry Vaughan, the architect who designed the Washington National Cathedral, designed the church in a neo-Gothic style. This church was consecrated in 1927 by Bishop William Thomas Manning.[2]

The Episcopal Church of the Mediator is home to the Corlear Sycamore, also known as the Sister Tree, which is considered to be among the oldest and largest trees in The Bronx.[3]

References


Coordinates: 40°52′47.15″N 73°54′26.29″W / 40.8797639°N 73.9073028°W / 40.8797639; -73.9073028

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.