World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kraushaar Galleries

Article Id: WHEBN0018555227
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kraushaar Galleries  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Robert Coates (critic), Adolfo Müller-Ury
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kraushaar Galleries

Kraushaar Galleries is an art gallery in New York City founded in 1885 by Charles W. Kraushaar, who had previously been with the European art gallery, William Schaus, Sr.

The Gallery's first location on Broadway at 33rd street where it showed Dutch and French Barbizon paintings, as well as works by Courbet, Corot, Whistler and Fantin-Latour. When John Kraushaar, John's younger brother, joined the business the gallery also began showing modern French painters: Soutine, Matisse, Roualt, Modigliani, Redon, Picasso and other late 19th- and early 20th-century artists.

Later John Kraushaar began showing works by American artists, particularly Robert Henri and his circle, and the group known as The Eight, Henri, John Sloan, William Glackens, Everett Shinn, George Luks, Maurice Prendergast, Ernest Lawson and Arthur B. Davies. In 1901, at their gallery at 260 Fifth Avenue, they exhibited the work of the Swiss-born American society painter Adolfo Müller-Ury.

After his brother's death in 1917, John Kraushaar continued the business. In the 1940s newer American painters were added. Among them were John A. Hartell, John Heliker, William Kienbusch, Joe Lasker, James Lechay, Elsie Manville, and Karl Schrag. The gallery is now located at 74 East 79th Street and functions as a private gallery, retaining its focus art of the first half of the twentieth century.

Sources

  • Clark, Lenore, ISBN 0-87338-710-4
  • Kraushaar Galleries, A History of Kraushaar Galleries

External links

  • Kraushaar Galleries
  • Kraushaar Galleries Exhibition Catalogs from the 1920s and 1930s
  • Article on Kraushaar Gallery exhibition catalogs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries

Coordinates: 40°46′32.34″N 73°57′40.05″W / 40.7756500°N 73.9611250°W / 40.7756500; -73.9611250

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.