World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mönchgut

Article Id: WHEBN0002123316
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mönchgut  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rügen, Mönchgut Coastal Fishing Museum, Southeast Rügen Biosphere Reserve, Hessenlager, Geography of Rügen
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Mönchgut

Mönchgut (red)
Historical Postcard from the Beach of Göhren, circa 1890-1900
Mönchgut landscape seen from the Granitz Hunting Lodge atop a hill

Mönchgut (Monk's Estates in German) is a peninsula of 29.44 square kilometers with 6600 inhabitants in the southeast of Rügen island in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany. It lies just between the Greifswalder Bodden and the rest of the Baltic Sea. Mönchgut contains the districts of Göhren and Thiessow; the peninsula is part of the Mönchgut-Granitz administration area. It is also a part of the Biosphere Reserve of Südost-Rügen.

Typical landscapes of Mönchgut

The name translates the monks' estates. In 1252, Jaromar II, Prince of Rügen sold the area to the Cistercian monks of Eldena Abbey, which was founded by one of his predecessors, Jaromar I, Prince of Rügen in 1199 and by that time also belonged to the Danish Principality of Rügen. To separate the monks' possessions from the rest of the island, a ditch was dug between Baabe and Sellin, known as Mönchsgraben ("monks' ditch"). Today, a large wooden gate built upoun the bridge over the Mönchsgraben marks the entrance to the Mönchgut peninsula.

The peninsula is composed of several headlands such as Reddevitzer Höft, the Kleiner Zicker and the Großer Zicker. The bay between the headlands is called Having. Off-shore to the east of the peninsula lies the island Greifswalder Oie.

While the residents of the area earlier supported themselves through fishing and marine activities, today the area is primarily geared toward tourism. One main attraction is the local history museum in Göhren, an open-air museum located on historical settlements. Here there is also a display of the elaborate local costumes, which Mönchgut is well known for.

In 1806, Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden started to construct the town of Gustavia on the peninsula, but had to abandon the project when France occupied Mönchgut during the Napoleonic Wars.

Mönchgut also features the final station of the narrow-gauge railway the Rasender Roland.

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.