World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Majadahonda

Article Id: WHEBN0009959120
Reproduction Date:

Title: Majadahonda  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Spanish Figure Skating Championships, Madrid, 2010 Spanish Figure Skating Championships, Majadahonda HC, Battle of Majadahonda
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Majadahonda

Majadahonda (Spanish pronunciation: ) is a municipality in Spain, situated 16 km northwest of Madrid, in the Community of Madrid.

It lies alongside the motorway A6 Madrid-A Coruña.

The Puerta de Hierro university (public) hospital was relocated to Majadahonda from the western part of the city of Madrid into a newly built medical complex in 2009.

History

Facts surrounding the original founding of Majadahonda are not readily verifiable, although some current residents of Majadahonda believe that the founders were Segovian shepherds who, by the 13th century, were based in the area, which, being poor agricultural land, was mostly used for grazing.

According to tradition, a small village emerged as a droving station called Majadahonda. Some archaeological findings including the remains of a Roman-Visigoth town tend to support the idea that a settlement was established in the 1st century AD, before being abandoned and then recolonized.

By the 16th century Majadahonda began to become proper village with a population of about 400 inhabitants. At the end of the 16th century there were almost two hundred houses and some 800 inhabitants. Majadahonda is mentioned in Miguel de Cervantes' Don Quixote and El Buscón by Francisco de Quevedo. The centre of the village at the time was the Church of Santa Catherine, a small hospital and a modest inn. The town extended through the streets named San Roque, Calle Real and Calle Christ.

In the 17th century a dramatic reduction of population occurred. Tradition says that Majadahonda was on the verge of being sold to a private owner, as occurred at Boadilla del Monte and Pozuelo de Aravaca (which was renamed Pozuelo de Alarcón, after the sale). However, the protest of the inhabitants to Philip IV of Spain was effective and the sale was frustrated. In the 18th century a considerable population increase occurred, with some 800 inhabitants according to the census of Floridablanca. The majority of the men were day laborers, serving a minority of rich farmers and landed gentry.

In the early 19th century bad harvests, the plague, and the effects of the wars, left the town almost desolate. In 1812, during the War of Spanish Independence, it was the seat of a battle between the French and British troops, which left the town in ruins. Ecclesiastical and civil confiscation enforced the sale of land, which acquired by the rich and powerful nobility. One of them, the marqués de Remisa, used his position with the railroad company to have a train station built on his property, which is the origin of the present station, relocated from its original site at El Plantio, but still some distance from the town.

The Spanish Civil War greatly damaged the area, which, like Madrid, was mostly Republican. From 1936 to 1939 the town was mostly deserted. The town was entirely reconstructed with a more modern grid format.

Throughout the 1960s a process of urban transformation and population increase took place. Majadahonda abandoned agricultural activities, becoming a dormitory town for Madrid, and thus highly dependent upon the service sector. The population increase prompted the paving of the streets, the construction of sewage systems, and the establishment of schools and hospitals. In 1970, alongside the motorway A6, a series of private “garden cities” appeared, many containing single-family homes. These were followed by a great number of closed apartment blocks, that predominate nowadays.

The political changes across Spain have been broadly supported Majadahonda, which voted in favor of the Spanish Constitution of 1978. In the first municipal elections, the old oligarchy lost the power, and a new City council was democratically elected.

Transmitter

Near Majadahonda, at Las Rozas ( Geographical coordinates: 40°29'6"N 3°52'27"W), is the most powerful broadcasting station in Spain, which transmits the programs of RNE-1 (Radio Nacional de España) on 585 kHz at 600 kW. The antenna is on a 264 meters tall mast built in 1962, which was then the tallest structure in Madrid area.

The facility also has a second mast, 130 metres tall used for broadcasting RNE-5 on 657 kHz and COPE Madrid on 999 kHz at 50 kW power.

Twin towns

There is a park named after that French town. It is located near the Majadahonda train station.

External links

  • Official website
  • City Information


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.