World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Majayjay

Article Id: WHEBN0001281922
Reproduction Date:

Title: Majayjay  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Laguna (province), Santa Cruz, Laguna, Lucban, Quezon, Dahong Palay
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Majayjay

Majayjay
Ang Bayan ng Majayjay
Municipality

Taytay Falls
Official seal of Majayjay
Seal
Nickname(s): The Town of Rivers and Waterfalls

Map of Laguna showing the location of Majayjay
Majayjay
Majayjay
Location in the Philippines

Coordinates: 14°09′N 121°28′E / 14.150°N 121.467°E / 14.150; 121.467Coordinates: 14°09′N 121°28′E / 14.150°N 121.467°E / 14.150; 121.467

Country  Philippines
Region CALABARZON (Region IV-A)
Province Laguna
District 4th District of Laguna
Founded 1571
Barangays 40
Government
 • Mayor Victorino C. Rodillas
Area
 • Total 69.58 km2 (26.86 sq mi)
Population (2010)
 • Total 26,547
 • Density 380/km2 (990/sq mi)
Time zone PST (UTC+8)
ZIP code 4005
Dialing code

049

thumbnail
Income class 4th

Majayjay is a fourth class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is located at the foot of Mount Banahaw, and stands 1,000 feet above sea level. It is 120 kilometres (75 mi) south of Manila, and bounded by the municipality of Magdalena on the north, by Lucban in Quezon province on the south, by Luisiana on the east, and by Liliw on the west. According to the latest census, it has a population of 24,791.

Barangays

Majayjay is politically subdivided into 40 barangays.

  • Amonoy
  • Bakia
  • Balanak
  • Balayong
  • Banilad
  • Banti
  • Bitaoy
  • Botocan
  • Bukal
  • Burgos
  • Burol
  • Coralao
  • Gagalot
  • Ibabang Banga
  • Ibabang Bayucain
  • Ilayang Banga
  • Ilayang Bayucain
  • Isabang
  • Malinao
  • May-It
  • Munting Kawayan
  • Olla
  • Oobi
  • Origuel (Poblacion)
  • Panalaban
  • Pangil
  • Panglan
  • Piit
  • Pook
  • Rizal
  • San Francisco (Poblacion)
  • San Isidro
  • San Miguel (Poblacion)
  • San Roque
  • Santa Catalina (Poblacion)
  • Suba
  • Talortor
  • Tanawan
  • Taytay
  • Villa Nogales (Poblacion)

History

Indigenous residents use to call it Malay Barangay. The Spanish colonial government made it a town in 1578.

During this period, Malay Barangay was one of the most populated settlements in the newly founded province. It competed with Bay and Pagsanjan during the selection of the province’s capital.

The popularity of this new town grew instantly during the Spanish period. Its location at the foot of the mountain gave it an abundant supply of fresh mountain spring water. Four rivers flowed through the town. They were Initian, Oobi and Ula, from the towering mountain, and Balanac from the falls of Botocan where all the three rivers meet.

Botocan Falls and the town’s breathtaking sceneries were uniquely famous. Europeans and wealthy natives from Manila frequently visited the town. However, the road to Malay Barangay was tough. Guests have to be ferried from Manila through the Pasig River to Laguna de Bay. Land travel began by mounting on horses through a path in the forest, and then borne by natives in hammocks on the way up to Malay Barangay.

As to how Malay Barangay got its name Majayjay, residents assume that Spaniards found it difficult to pronounce Malay Barangay. Early colonizers may have shortened it to Malay-ay, until it became Majayjay. Legends, however say that it was the difficult journey to Majayjay, which gave the town its name. Tired travelers sighed, “Hay!” after scaling a cliff, “Hay!” after ascending a hill, and “Hay!” after crossing a raging river. Thus, guests referred to the place “Mahayhay,” meaning, many sighs. Spaniards spelled it “Majayjay.”

Immediately after the conversion of the natives of Malay Barangay, a make shift church was built near May-it River. Fire destroyed it in 1578. Believers built a new church made of bamboo and cogon thatch to refurbish the former. However, fire again razed it to the ground. This time, the faithful built a stone church, but it again smoldered to ashes. The residents wondered. In spite of the repeated incidents of fire, the image of their Patron Saint, San Gregorio Papa Magno remained miraculously unscathed.

Through the efforts of Padre Jose de Puertollano, contributions enforced from parishioners, and forced labor of the natives, a new elegant church rose in Majayjay. It took nineteen years, incalculable donations and countless lash marks that scarred the backs of languid natives to finish the church. The church’s completion in 1730 put it in the list of the most elegant churches in the province.

Tourist Attractions

Saint Gregory the Great Parish Church
Majayjay is home to one of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in the Philippines, the Saint Gregory the Great Parish Church. It was built in 1575 through forced labor to the town folks. Inside the church are antique statues of saints brought by the Spaniards in the early era of propagating Christianity. It is somehow true to every church built in the country that it experienced arson (1576, 1606 and 1660) but later undergone reconstructions and rehabilitation works. Atop the roof of the church is seen the breathtaking view of Laguna de Bay.
Taytay Falls
Majayjay is also home to the Taytay Falls. Others call it the Majayjay Falls or even Imelda Falls, because ex-First Lady Imelda Marcos financed the promotion of tourism in this place. It is a two-storey high falls located in a remote scenery where the forestry is abundant. To reach Taytay Falls, one has to go down the stone steps leading to a kilometer-long trail. Recently, the World Bank has sponsored the promotion of tourism in Taytay Falls.
Dalitiwan Resort
Dalitiwan Resort is well-known for being a running water-typed resort showcasing icy cold water flowing from Mount Banahaw springs. It is located in barangay Ilayang Banga. To get there, you'll have to ride a jeep or a trike for 3 minutes or so from the town proper going far down the area before ascending to the zigzag road.
Costales Nature Farm
Costales Nature Farm is well-known for its unique way of cultivating agricultural and farm products. Through the organic farming that was first introduced in Majayjay it became a boom and a success. Many people who are after to doing the same technique usually visit the farm located in Brgy. Gagalot.
Coconut Arrack
Commonly called Lambanog. This lambanog is a liquor produced from the extracted Tuba, a sap that is gotten from the coconut tree. However, as you pass along the National Highways, you can probably see Mangangarit skillfully climbing the tree and gliding all the way from one tree to another by the use of two bamboo logs horizontally knotted. There are several stores selling this type of wine, for you to experience its taste just visit the town.
Puente de Capriccio
In Rizal's El Filibusterismo, he spoke of an old Spanish bridge made of stone in the year 1851. It was a one-arch bridge since it was not finished, early natives put bamboo footbridge to connect the opposite sides to make accessible. Puente de Capriccio was initiated by Father Del Moral. But the priest was a cruel one, anyone who do not labor in the construction would be later punish by whipping the buttocks. The bridge is still standing firm today crossing the Olla River. It is called Tulay ng Pige by the modern Majayjayenos.
Mount Banahaw
The town of Majayjay is located at the foot of this ever majestic mountain. In the early Spanish era, Mount Banahaw was called Monte de Majayjay, because it was the town the only way to travel to the mountain. Many European elites visited the town because of its fresh air and the breath-taking scenic of Mount Banahaw.
Carayan Resort
A resort right at the heart of Majayjay, Laguna, foothills near Mt. Banahaw situated in Barangay Panglan, Majayjay, Laguna - Philippines.
Scenic View Resort and Restaurant
Located in brgy. Ilayang Banga.

Festivities

Majayjay Day is celebrated every year on October 2 as part of the celebration of the founding anniversary of the town. It brags off farm and agricultural products produced primarily from the 40 barangays composing it.

SaGreMa Festival (San Gregorio Magno Majayjay), also known as the Feast Day of Saint Gregory I, is celebrated on September 3 and March 12, the dates he became a pope and the day he died, respectively.

Educational Facilities

Secondary schools:

  1. Liceo de Majayjay (High School)
  2. Sta Catalina National High School (Brgy. San Miguel, Main Campus and Brgy. Bakia, ext.)
  3. Suba National High School (Brgy. San Isidro, Main Campus and Brgy. Gagalot, ext.)

Elementary schools:

  1. Liceo de Majayjay (Elemenatary)
  2. Majayjay Elementary School
  3. Sta Catalina Elementary School
  4. Bakia-Botocan Elementary School
  5. Paaralang Elementarya ng Gagalot - Taytay
  6. Majayjay Center for Education and Development Foundation Inc.
  7. Suba Elementary School
  8. Montessori School
  9. Bucal Elementary School
  10. Munting Kawayan Elementary School

References

External links

  • Philippine Standard Geographic Code
  • 1995 Philippine Census Information
  • 2000 Philippine Census Information
  • 2007 Philippine Census Information (1)
  • 2007 Philippine Census Information (2)
  • Local Governance Performance Management System
  • [1]

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.