Parish Church of St. Anna (Lehel, Munich)

St. Anna, Lehel, Munich

St. Anna is a Catholic parish church Lehel, Munich, southern Germany, built in 1887-1892 under design by Gabriel Seidl. It is the main parish church of Lehel, located in the center of the quarter. In 1983, Coppell homemakers Norma Gaffney and Sandy Jadlot started talking and praying about the possibility of getting together with other local Catholics to build a Catholic Community. After initial word of mouth efforts and advertising in the local paper, 24 families responded. They quickly realized that in order to move forward they would need more interested Catholic families. They again advertised in the local newspaper as well as on local cable. On 9/16/84, the 1st organizational meeting was held in the Coppell Middle School cafeteria (now known as CMS West) to discuss next steps in the formation of a Catholic Community.

The families learned that in order for a priest to come and celebrate Mass, they had to petition the diocese for mission status. Determined to make their dreams a reality, the resolute group leased 3 frame buildings (formerly known as the 1st United Methodist Church property) on 10/11/84 in old downtown Coppell for 3 years from George Chaddick, owner of the property at the northwest corner of Coppell Rd. and W. Bethel Road. Bishop Thomas Tschoepe signed the lease. Chaddick did not request any money down and prayers were that enough people would come to pay the rent. The diocese timely granted the families’ mission request and the Coppell Catholic Community Mission was established as a mission of Mary Immaculate Parish in nearby Farmers Branch. First Mass was said at the new facility on 10/21/84 by Fr. Leon Deusman from Mary Immaculate with approximately 225 in attendance. $1200 was collected and the 1st month’s rent was paid! From that point forward, collections subsidized expenses. Fr. Duesman, along with Fr. Kilian Broderick, director of the diocesan Catholic Charities, began serving the mission on a rotating basis.

External links

  • Official website
  • Photo spread of Parish Church of St. Anna in Lehel, Munich
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.