World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Parishes of Grenada

Grenada Parishes
Category Parish
Location Grenada
Number 6
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Grenada
Administrative divisions (parishes)
Foreign relations

The Caribbean island country of Grenada is divided into regions known as parishes.

A parish defines a territorial unit or region that, historically, was usually an area under the pastoral care served by a local church as an ecclesiastical administrative unit (see Parish) and later used by map-makers to set boundaries to an area of land. Traditionally a settlement or village would centre on a church and later grow to become a town and then even a city. Therefore a parish has now come to mean an administrative division and is used so by several countries as the smallest unit (or lowest tier) of local government.

The differing size and shape of each parish was primarily influenced by the island's earlier history and land that was granted to the first settlers that claimed that territory during the colonial years of the island.

Two decades after Barbados was settled the French governor of Martinique, Jacques-Dyel du Parquet, purchased Grenada from a French company and in 1650 established a settlement at what was to be Fort Royal in the parish of the low lands (Ville Ft. Royal situé à Paroisse de la Basse Terre). During this time the parish boundaries where laid out.

The French cartographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin (1703–1772) draw several editions of a chart of the island of Grenada showing the earlier French parish divisions and was published as Carte de L'Isle de la Grenade in Paris 1756.

However, by 1763 the island was under British rule and a later map of the Island of Grenada showing towns and villages and division of the island into quarters in English by cartographer Bryon Edwards (for J. Cooke's History of the West Indies) was engraved in 1818.

After a century the French capitulated to the British and formally ceded the island to Britain in 1763 by the Treaty of Paris. The English took over the churches and, as was traditional, chaples of ease and local churches were elevated to parish church status across the island, leading to the formation of new parishes surrounding those newly named churches. The six boundaries or borders of these parishes having already been well established in the mindset of the people then living simply took on the names of these churches.

The nation's capital Saint George, and even to this day the original parishional border-lines are still well defined.

The six parishes are:

Nr. Parish Capitals Land Area
(km²)
Population
(census 2001)
Density
km−2
1 Saint Andrew Grenville 99 24,749 249.98
2 Saint David St. David's 44 11,486 261.04
3 Saint George 65 37,057 570.10
4 Saint John Gouyave 35 8,591 245.46
5 Saint Mark Victoria 25 3,994 159.76
6 Saint Patrick Sauteurs 42 10,674 254.14
These two islands are of the Grenadines, have the status of dependency.
Carriacou Hillsborough 34 6,081 178.85
Petite Martinique North Village 2.4 900[1] 375.00
  Grenada 344 102,632 298.35
  1. ^ From Petite Martinique Census 2006

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.