World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Park Avenue (Kochi)

Article Id: WHEBN0028383856
Reproduction Date:

Title: Park Avenue (Kochi)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kaloor-Kadavanthra Road, Durbar Hall Ground, Banerji Road, Shanmugham Road, Edappally railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Park Avenue (Kochi)

Park Avenue, Kochi, is a famous tree-lined road starting from Gandhi Round to Broadway. The road is located in Park area where several famous historical buildings are located. It is the most beautiful road with more than 45 flowering trees planted on both sides of the roads, making a thick canopy over the road. This 1 km stretch was considered to be a model road for Kochi City.

History

The idea of the new road came up in 1903, when Kochi Maharaja Rajarishi Rama Varma(1895–1914), was travelling to attend the Kochi Durbar. The king was well known for his deep passion for gardening and nature. He felt need of beautiful tree-lined roads similar to those in Europe and America. He directed the Diwan to lay a new park where the public can unwind in evenings. Thus a new park came up in the open space opposite Shiva temple facing sea, named as Rama Varma Park. The king ordered for beautifying the road bordering the park with various variety of flowering trees like Gulmohar etc. The king even passed a law prohibiting any person cutting down the trees, even branches without sanction of Royal court. The beauty of road impressed the Hon.British Resident of Kochi, that he renamed the street as Park Avenue.

The beauty of stretch was so impressive that several important institutions were later established in this stretch. This includes the Kochi State Legislature Assembly Building (current Law college), Kochi Royal Huzur Cutchery (Secretariat- the current Taluk Office), Raja's court of Appeal (current Ernakulam District Courts), Royal Medical Office (current DMO office), Diwan's Bungalow (current Government Guest House), Ernakulam Mayor House (current Corporation of Cochin office) and St.Teresa's College. These were in addition to the existing major structures, the Maharaja's College and Ernakulam General Hospital. The annual Durbar processions which normally used to take place in Chitoor Road, was later shifted to this stretch.

The road has seen several major agitations as part of Indian Independence movements. In the 1930s, the students of Maharaja's College lead a major agitation against Kochi Kingdom which was brutally suppressed with help of armed police. The Park was the main venue for Civil Disobedience movement in Kochi. It was for the first time, a major agitation called against an Indian princely state, which spearhead Indian National Congress to spread Independence movement into princely states. The Park Avenue was one of the first place where Aikya Kerala Vedi (Forum for United Kerala) started its agitations for uniting 2 princely states of Kochi and Travancore.

On August 15, 1947 the Park witnessed the ceremony lowering of Kochi Kingdom's Flag for fluttering Indian Tricolour as per Kochi Raja's directive (who was the first Indian prince to join Indian Union willingly). After Independence, the road was taken over by Ernakulam Municipality and retain in the same way as desired by its founder- Maharaja Rajarishi.

Current status

The Park Avenue is one of the last green lung of the ever-growing Kochi City. Though a few trees fell due to poor maintenance and age, most of the parts still retains the old charms. The old Rama Varma Park is now divided into two parts, the upper stretch called as Indira Priyadarshini Children's park maintained by Central Government funds and lower stretch as Subhash Bose Park under Kochi Corporation. Though it was one of the prime attractions until the early 1990s, the current state is utter dismay due to poor maintenance. Along with this, due to commissioning Park Jetty along with a KSRTC Bus stand, several portions of the park was taken over for allied construction. Despite of all these problems, still this is one of the most beautiful portions of Kochi City.

Major Landmarks/Junctions

  • Gandhi Round, the Park avenue starts from Gandhi Rounds where a Gandhi Statue is installed.
  • The Kanayannur Taluk office, which was the old Secretariat complex of Kochi Kingdom, built in traditional style. The sprawling complex is a heritage structure. The Registar's Office and Treasury is located in this complex.
  • The District Court complex is continuous part of Taluk Office which was originally the Raja's Court of Appeal. New additions were added to back side of the original structure.
  • Ernakulam General Hospital and Hospital Campus
  • Kochi Revenue Tower, a modern 24 storied glass tower built recently. The Commissioner of Cochin City Police has its office here. All Government offices in the city are planned to shift to this complex soon.
  • St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral, Estd. 1926, the Mother Church of all Indian Orthodox Churches in the City
  • Cochin Corporation Guest House
  • Government Guest House and KTDC Hotel, PWD Guest House

The road ends at entrance of Broadway Market. All the above structures are located on eastern side of the Road whereas the western side is occupied with Park. Apart from Subhash Chandra Bose Park and Indira Priyadarshini Children's Park, a large open ground called Rajendra Maidan and a small lawn gardens called Ambedkar Park also exists. The Main Ernakulam Boat Jetty is located in middle of Park Avenue.

References

External links

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.