World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Patan, Maharashtra

Article Id: WHEBN0010121987
Reproduction Date:

Title: Patan, Maharashtra  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Patan, Satara district, Pune division, Karad, List of state highways in Maharashtra, Talukas of Maharashtra, Sindkheda, Kumbharli Ghat
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Patan, Maharashtra

For other places with the same name, see Patan (disambiguation).
Patan
city
Patan
Patan
Location in Maharashtra, India

Coordinates: 17°22′N 73°54′E / 17.37°N 73.9°E / 17.37; 73.9Coordinates: 17°22′N 73°54′E / 17.37°N 73.9°E / 17.37; 73.9

Country  India
State Maharashtra
District Satara
Population (2001)
 • Total 11,619
Languages
 • Official Marathi
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)

Patan is a census town in Satara district in the Indian state of Maharashtra.

Geography

Patan is located at 17°22′N 73°54′E / 17.37°N 73.9°E / 17.37; 73.9.[1] It has an average elevation of 582 metres (1909 feet).

Demographics

As of 2001 India census,[2] Patan had a population of 11,619. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Patan has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 73%. In Patan, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.

Patan, (Patan T; 17° 20' N, 73° 50' E; RS Karad 24 m. SE; p. 3,630) on the Karad-Kumbharli road at the junction of the Koyna and Kera rivers about twenty-five miles south-west of Satara was formerly a sub-divisional head-quarters. The town consists of two parts (i) Rampur and (ii) Patan. The Patankar family was originally in two branches, of which the elder branch alone flourished. The younger branch represented by Hanmantrav resided in Rampur. His mansion, a fine large house was completely destroyed by fire in 1874. Next to it on the south is the mansion of Sardar Nagojirav Patankar, a first-class sardar and honorary magistrate who exercised civil jurisdiction in his area. The mansion with strong high stone walls and ramparts and a gateway flanked by bastions, is well maintained. A rose and plantain garden has been laid out close to it. The Patankars were the deshmukhs under the Marathas of the whole surrounding district and had charge of Dategad fort three miles to the north-west. During the struggles between the Peshvas and the Pratinidhis they did pretty much what they pleased. The elder branch is one of the few prosperous Maratha families in the district. There is no historical mention of Patan. But title deeds show that the Bijapur kings had a well established rule here. The district was assigned to the Pratinidhi by Ram Raja but was wrested from him by the Peshva after the rebellion of Yemaji Shivdev Mutalik in 1750 [ Grant Duff's Marathas Vol. I, 447.]. It was not finally secured to the Peshva till the time of Bapu Gokhale. Throughout the eighteenth century both the authorities issued contradictory orders but the carrying out of these orders largely rested on the will of the Patankars alone.

The town has a number of public buildings viz., three primary schools, two for boys and one for girls, four high schools in which one is newly formed English medium school, one college, two training colleges, the Nagojirav Vachanalaya, a primary health centre with a family planning centre and a maternity home, a District Local Board dispensary, District Judge's court and a number of other offices, Besides of this there is also a big sport complex, a drama hall, banking facilities, Cottege hospital, e.g. Block Development office, Mamlatdar's office, District Local Board office, Post and telegraph office, etc. There is an inspection bungalow and a bridge is built recently on the Kera river. A weekly bazar is held on every Monday. Now Laxmi temple garden has been developed by citizens of Patan. Brick-forming factories is major industry.Koyna Dam is near from this city and is major tourist attraction

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.