World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ramat Yishai

 

Ramat Yishai

Ramat Yishai
  • רָמַת יִשַּׁי
Hebrew transcription(s)
 • ISO 259 Ramat Yiššay
Official logo of Ramat Yishai
Logo
Ramat Yishai is located in Israel
Ramat Yishai
Ramat Yishai
Coordinates:
District Northern
Founded 1925
Government
 • Type Local council (from 1958)
 • Head of Municipality Ofer Ben-Eliezer
Area
 • Total 2,388 dunams (2.388 km2 or 590 acres)
Population (2010)
 • Total 6,600

Ramat Yishai (Hebrew: רָמַת יִשַּׁי, Jesse's Heights) is a local council in the North District of Israel, located on the side of the HaifaNazareth road about 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) eastern to Kiryat Tivon. It was declared a local council in 1958. According to the Israel Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), it had a population of 6,600 in 2010, with a growth rate of 6.3%. The vast majority of the citizens of the village are Jewish.

History

The land, on the western edge of the Jezreel Valley, which belonged to the village of Jida, was bought by a group of American Zionists in the early 20's. It was renamed Manor and then Yefe Nof, but was almost deserted after a few years. In 1925, the philanthropist Yisrael Yehudah Adler saved it from bankruptcy and it was renamed in his honour shortly thereafter. Among the establishers of the village were 50 families from Łódź and Białystok who built a textile factory in the village. Weaving and textile manufacturing were, therefore, the local trades. After the founding of modern Israel in 1948, families from Yemen joined the village.

1929 passport issued to the founder of Ramat Yishai.


One of the most known buildings in the village is called "the Khan", a 1909 building with surrounding walls. The logo of the village consists of this Ottoman-era building with a palm tree next to it. The town hall flies 2 logo-on-bedsheet flags with this emblem in dark blue on a light blue and a yellow field, respectively.

Notable residents


External links

  • Ramat Yishai Official website
  • Ramat Yishai on Galil-Net
  • Jida, from Dr. Moslih Kanaaneh
  • Survey of Western Palestine, Map 5: IAA,
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.