World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

San Gennaro dei Poveri

San Gennaro dei Poveri in Naples.

San Gennaro dei Poveri is a hospital in Naples in southern Italy.

Historically, San Gennaro dei Poveri was the first Hospice for the Poor in Naples. It was founded in 1667 and intended to be a great "poor house", a place for at least some of the city's 10,000 mendicant poor at the time. It was a forerunner of the much more ambitious project along the same lines, the gigantic Royal Hospice for the Poor started in the 1750s.

Initially a church here had been built at the site of a temple to Vulcan. In the 8th century, it became a Benedictine monastery, by the 15th century, the monastery had fallen into disuse, and in 1468 was repurposed by Cardinal Oliviero Carafa into hospital for those afflicted with plague. After the plague of 1656, the hospital was expanded and by 1669 the viceroy Pietro Antonio of Aragon converted the hospital into a hospice for the poor.

Church of San Gennaro dei Poveri

A church at the site, San Gennaro extra Moenia, linked to the catacombs of San Gennaro, was present since the fifth century. When the relics of the saint were moved to Benevento, the church fell into disrepair until the Benedictine monastery was completed. The statues of St Peter and St Gennaro, by Cosimo Fanzago, were added to the facade of the church after 1669.[1]

References

  1. ^ Comune of Naples, entry on church.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.