World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Giovanni Crisostomo

Article Id: WHEBN0013807093
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Giovanni Crisostomo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Marco Polo, Lombardo (family), Giuseppe Diamantini
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Giovanni Crisostomo

Church of San Giovanni Grisostomo
Basic information
Location Venice, Italy
Geographic coordinates Coordinates: 45°26′21″N 12°20′14″E / 45.43917°N 12.33722°E / 45.43917; 12.33722

Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Venice
Architectural description
Architect(s) Mauro Codussi & son
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Renaissance
Completed 1525

San Giovanni Grisostomo (English: Saint John Chrysostom) is a small church in the sestiere or neighborhood of Cannaregio, Venice.

The church was founded in 1080, destroyed by fire in 1475, then rebuilt starting in 1497 by Mauro Codussi and his son, Domenico. Construction was completed in 1525. The campanile dates from the late 16th century. The interior is based on a Greek cross design.

Behind the façade are hung two canvasses, formerly organ doors, by Giovanni Mansueti depicting Saints Onuphrius, Agatha, Andrew and John Chrysostom. Onuphrius was the co-titular patron saint who was revered by the confraternity of the Tentori (dyers of fabrics, covers, and sheets). In 1516, a relic of the saint, his finger, was donated to this church.

The chapel on the right has the painting Saints Christopher, Jerome and Louis of Toulouse (1513) by Giovanni Bellini. On the left rear, the chapel of the Rosary or Madonna della Grazie has an altarpiece of Saints John Chrysostom, John the Baptist, John the Evangelist, Theodore, Mary Magdalen, Lucy and Catherine by Sebastiano del Piombo, commissioned by Caterina Contarini. On the wall of the apse are a series of canvases on the life of Saint John Chrysostom and Christ. On the high altar is a relief of the Deposition from the Cross. To the left is the chapel built for Giacomo Bernabò, with sculptural design by Codussi. The marble altarpiece of the Coronation of the Virgin (1500–1502) was completed by Tullio Lombardo.

References

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.