World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Giovanni e Paolo, Venice

Article Id: WHEBN0012240894
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Giovanni e Paolo, Venice  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Vivarini
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Giovanni e Paolo, Venice

Coordinates: 45°26′21″N 12°20′32″E / 45.4392°N 12.3421°E / 45.4392; 12.3421



The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in the Venetian dialect as San Zanipolo, is a church in Venice, northern Italy. One of the largest churches in the city, it has the status of a minor basilica. After the 15th century the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church.

Description

A huge brick edifice built in the Italian Gothic style, it is the principal Dominican church of Venice, and as such was built for preaching to large congregations. It is dedicated to John and Paul, not the Biblical Apostles of the same names, but two obscure martyrs of the Early Christian church in Rome, whose names were recorded in the 3rd century but whose legend is of a later date.

In 1246, Doge Jacopo Tiepolo donated some swampland to the Dominicans after dreaming of a flock of white doves flying over it. The first church was demolished in 1333, when the current church was begun. It was not completed until 1430.

The vast interior contains many funerary monuments and paintings, as well as the Madonna della Pace, a miraculous Byzantine statue situated in its own chapel in the south aisle, and a foot of St Catherine of Siena, the church's chief relic.

San Giovanni e Paolo is a parish church of the Vicariate of San Marco-Castello. Other churches of the parish are San Lazzaro dei Mendicanti, the Ospedaletto and the Beata Vergine Addolorata.

The Renaissance Equestrian Statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni (1483), by Andrea del Verrocchio, is located next to the church.

The belltower has 3 bells in D major.

Notable artists

The Capella del Rosario (Chapel of the Rosary), built in 1582 to commemorate the victory of Lepanto, contained paintings by Tintoretto, Palma the Younger, Titian and Giovanni Bellini, among others, but they were destroyed in a fire in 1867 attributed to anti-Catholic arsonists.

Funerary monuments


After the 15th century the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held in San Giovanni e Paolo. Twenty-five doges are buried in the church, including:

Other people buried in the church include:

  • Orazio Baglioni (d. 1617), general
  • Gentile Bellini (d. 1507), artist
  • Giovanni Bellini (d. 1516), artist
  • Gianbattista Bonzi (d. 1508), senator
  • Bartolomeo Bragadin (poet)
  • Marco Antonio Bragadin (d.1571), general, flayed alive by the Turks - the tomb contains only his skin
  • Jacopo Cavalli (d. 1384), general
  • Alvise Diedo, commander-in-chief
  • Marco Giustiniani (d. 1346), sea captain
  • Pompeo Giustiniani (d. 1616), condottiere
  • Palma the Younger (d. 1628), artist
  • Vettor Pisani (d. 1380), admiral
  • Niccolò Orsini, (d. 1510), commander-in-chief
  • Leonardo da Prato (d.1511), condottiere
  • Alvise Trevisan (d. 1528)
  • Edward Windsor, 3rd Baron Windsor (d. 1574)

See also

External links

  • Satellite image from Google Maps
  • http://www.basilicasantigiovanniepaolo.it/en/basilic/history.html
  • Museumplanet, Venice


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.