World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sant'Agnello Maggiore, Naples

Article Id: WHEBN0037077419
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sant'Agnello Maggiore, Naples  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Villa Donn'Anna, Teatro del Fondo, Santa Maria Donnalbina, Naples, Santa Maria della Stella, Naples, Santa Maria di Monteverginella, Naples
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sant'Agnello Maggiore, Naples

Church of Sant'Agnello Maggiore
Chiesa di Sant'Agnello Maggiore
Main entrance and façade.
Location Naples
Province of Naples, Campania
Country Italy
Denomination Roman Catholic
Architecture
Status Active
Architectural type Church
Administration
Diocese Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Naples

Sant'Agnello Maggiore, also called Sant'Aniello a Caponapoli or Santa Maria Intercede, is a church in the historical center of Naples, Italy.

Interior of church
Remains of old wall of Neapolis, reused by the church
Entrance in the right transept.

According to tradition, Sant'Agnello, now co-patron (compatrono) of the city of Naples, is buried in this church. Other traditions hold he is buried in the Cathedral of Lucca.

History

The history of this church is linked to sant'Agnello. Agnello was a 6th-century Neapolitan bishop, who defended the city against the besieging Lombards. Supposedly the church had been founded and devoted to the Virgin, by Agnello's parents. Recent studies have shown that the church was built atop an Ancient Roman Acropolis from the 4th century. When Sant'Agnello died, the church's name was changed to Santa Maria dei Sette Cieli (of the Seven Heavens). In the 9th century, Bishop Athanasius of Naples built a new religious building and dedicated to the abbot Saint Agnello and placed his relics in the church. During the Middle Ages, the cult of Sant'Agnello became increasingly important and the end of the 13th century till 1517, the church was under the direction of a rector, which from there on was a priest of the order of Canons Regular of the Lateran Congregation of the Most Holy Savior .

From 1510 to 1600, the church rebuilt and enlarged by the archbishop Giovanni Maria Poderico. The transept, previously the church of Santa Maria Intercede was reconstructed as part of this church in 1517 and work inside continued on till the 18th century. The main altar by Girolamo Santacroce, had additions by Giovanni Battista Pandullo. Vincenzo Martino redid the pavement.

On the 7th of August, 1809, the monastic order in charge of the church was suppressed, and on January 12, 1809, the monastery was sold by the Minister of Finance to a private citizen Cosimo d'Orazio. However by 1856, the Ministry of the Interior was in charge of the maintenance, and in 1903 had planned demolition of both the church and monastery, but the plan was never implemented. By 1913, the parish was transferred to the nearby church of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli due to the precarious state of the structure. The second world war added damage. In 1962, during reconstruction the remains of the ancient acropolis were found. Vandalism, earthquakes, and decay have contributed to its poor state of conservation. In 2011, after a long restoration, the church has reopened.

The church still retains medieval traces in bas reliefs. The paintings moved here are of uncertain attribution. Only the main altar sculpted by Girolamo Santacroce is original.


Bibliography

  • Luigi Catalani, La chiese di Napoli, Tipografia Fu Migliaccio, 1845, pages 167-172.
  • Vincenzo Regina, Le chiese di Napoli. Viaggio indimenticabile attraverso la storia artistica, architettonica, letteraria, civile e spirituale della Napoli sacra, Newton e Compton editor, Naples 2004.
  • AA.VV., Segno metodo progetto. Itinerari of the image urbana tra memoria e intervento, Elio de Rosa editore, Naples, Italy 1990.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.