World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Santi Filippo e Giacomo, Naples

Article Id: WHEBN0037012927
Reproduction Date:

Title: Santi Filippo e Giacomo, Naples  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Villa Donn'Anna, Teatro del Fondo, Santa Maria della Stella, Naples, Santa Maria di Monteverginella, Naples, Sant'Angelo a Nilo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Santi Filippo e Giacomo, Naples

Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo
Chiesa dei Santi Filippo e Giacomo
Facade.
Location Via San Biagio dei Librai
Naples
Province of Naples, Campania
Country Italy
Denomination Roman Catholic
Architecture
Status Active
Architectural type Church
Style Baroque architecture
Groundbreaking 1593
Completed 1758
Administration
Diocese Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Naples

Santi Filippo e Giacomo is a Renaissance style, Roman Catholic church in Naples, Italy, located on Via San Biagio dei Librai, near the churches of San Biagio Maggiore and Santa Luciella.

In 1593, the church was commissioned by local merchants and tradesman in the zone. The church we see today is the product of a 1758 reconstruction by Gennaro Papa. The concave/convex facade recalls the style of Borromini; and the top level niches hold statues of Religion and Faith by Giuseppe Picano, while the lower level has statues of St Phillip and St James by Giuseppe Sanmartino. The pavement was designed by Giuseppe Massa, and the holy water fonts by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro. The frescoes in the choir, nave and walls were completed by Jacopo Cestaro. He also painted the Evangelists on the cupola and St Phillip and Jacob in the presbytery.

Gallery

Bibliography

  • Vincenzo Regina, Le chiese di Napoli. Viaggio indimenticabile attraverso la storia artistica, architettonica, letteraria, civile e spirituale della Napoli sacra, Newton and Compton editor, Naples 2004.

External links

  • Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo description at Napoligrafia site.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.