World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0009840454
Reproduction Date:

Title: Schliengen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Battle of Schliengen, Nidau, Mannheim–Karlsruhe–Basel railway, Lörrach (district), Kandern
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Coat of arms of Schliengen
Coat of arms
Schliengen   is located in Germany
Country Germany
State Baden-Württemberg
Admin. region Freiburg
District Lörrach
 • Mayor Werner Bundschuh (FDP/DVP)
 • Total 37.46 km2 (14.46 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 5,386
 • Density 140/km2 (370/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 79418
Dialling codes 07635
Vehicle registration

Schliengen is a town in southwestern Germany in the state of Baden-Württemberg, in the Kreis (district) of Lörrach. Schliengen's claim to international fame is the Battle of Schliengen, fought between forces of the French Revolutionary army under Jean-Victor Moreau and the Austrian army under Karl von Österreich-Teschen. As both sides claimed victory, the battle is commemorated on a monument in Vienna and on the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.


  • Geography 1
    • Location 1.1
    • Neighboring Municipalities 1.2
    • Boroughs (Ortsteile) 1.3
  • History 2
    • Religion 2.1
    • Town Council 2.2
    • Town Twinning 2.3
  • Culture and Items of Interest 3
    • Buildings 3.1
    • Culinary Specialties 3.2
  • Economy and Infrastructure 4
    • Transportation 4.1
    • Local Businesses 4.2
    • Education 4.3
  • Personalities 5
    • Residents 5.1
  • References 6
  • External links 7



The town of Schliengen is located in the Markgräflerland between Müllheim and the district town of Lörrach. The area of the municipality stretches from the Upper Rhine Plain (elev. 225 m/738 ft) to the top of the Blauen or Hochblauen (elev. 1165 m/3,822 ft).

Neighboring Municipalities

The municipality of Schliengen is bordered on the north by Auggen, in the northeast by Feldberg (a borough of Müllheim), both of which are in Kreis (district) Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald, in the east by Malsburg-Marzell, in the south by the towns of Kandern and Bad Bellingen, and on the west by Steinenstadt, a borough of Neuenburg am Rhein, which is again in the Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald district.

Boroughs (Ortsteile)

The municipality of Schliengen contains the following boroughs (Ortsteile); Liel, Mauchen, Niedereggenen, Obereggenen and Schallsingen.

Lutheran Churches exist in Niedereggenen, Obereggenen and Feldberg.


The first official historical mention of Schliengen was in 820. It belonged formerly to the prince-bishopric of Basel. In 1796, Schliengen was the site of a battle between the French army commanded by Jean Victor Marie Moreau and the Coalition Army commanded by Archduke Charles of Austria. After the secularization which was a result of the German Mediatisation (Reichsdeputationshauptschluss) of 1803, Schliengen became a part of the Grand Duchy of Baden. The railway first reached Schliengen a 15 June 1847 when the track to Müllheim was completed. Schliengen was traditionally a part of the district of Müllheim, but has been part of the district of Lörrach since the district reform of 1973.


As a part of the prince-bishopric of Basel the Reformation passed Schliengen by. As a result, the area is still today mainly Roman Catholic. There are however Lutheran churches in Schliengen and each of its boroughs.

Town Council

Since the election of 13 July 2004, the town council consists of the mayor and 22 council members. The election brought the following results:

  1. CDU 36,6% (−9,2), 9 seats (=)
  2. SPD 28,4% (+0,3), 6 seats (=)
  3. FDP/DVP 20,8% (+0,9), 5 seats (+1)
  4. GRÜNE 12,1% (+5,9), 2 seats (+1)
  5. Andere 2,1% (+2,1), 0 seats (=)

Town Twinning

Since 1989 Schliengen's official sister city has been Nidau am Bielersee in Switzerland.

Culture and Items of Interest


Schloss Bürgeln (Bürgeln Palace)
Schloss Bürgeln Schliengen in Summer

The palace lies high over the vineyards of the Markgräflerland, between blooming cherry trees, fields, and woods. It was built in the 11th century as a church, and from 1100 as a monastery. In 1762 the palace was rebuilt by Provost Aloysius Mader and Abbot Meinrad Troger. The palace was threatened with closure in 1920, which was prevented through the formation of the Bürgeln-Bund (Bürgeln Federation). It is now privately owned, and is maintained and restored by donations and through the work of the Bürgeln-Bund. Around the palace is a 80m² (860 ft²) rose garden, with views of the French Vosges mountains, Basel, and the Sausenburg ruins.

Today, particularly in the summer, Schloss Bürgeln plays host to many events. These include conferences, seminars, concerts, and parties.

In the middle 80's the palace was the filming location of a ZDF series entitled "Lorenz & Söhne", which followed the story of the Lorenz family and their winery.

Wasserschloss Entenstein (Water Castle Entenstein)

The Wasserschloss Entenstein, in the center of the town of Schliengen, is a small moated castle, which today houses the city hall and the district administration offices. The black and yellow striped shutters are a traditional symbol warning passers-by that the building has a moat. The surrounding castle park invites walkers in every season, and in the summer hosts several events, such as street and wine festivals.

Gasthaus Krone (Crown Inn) in Mauchen

In this inn one finds a delightful wall built of multicolored bottles.

Culinary Specialties

The vineyards of Schliengen, like all of those in the Markgräflerland, grow a variety of good wines. The local vintner's cooperative, the Schliengener Winzergenossenschaft, is based in the town and offers wine tastings. The Weingut Lämmlin-Schindler in Mauchen was one of the first wineries to be established in Germany. The 1988/89 German Wine Princess, Petra Meyer, was from Schliengen.

Economy and Infrastructure


Schliengen is connected to the international rail network through the Rhine Valley Railway (Rheintalbahn)(Mannheim-Karlsruhe-Basel). The nearest large train stations are in Freiburg and Basel. Schliengen also lies on Federal Highway 3 (Bundesstraße 3), which gives direct access to the international highway network.

Local Businesses

The Erste Markgräfler Winzergenossenschaft Schliengen-Müllheim e. G. (First Markgräfler Vintners' Cooperative) ( is located in Schliengen, whose wines always place highly in regional and national competitions. The cooperative was founded in 1908 by the local priest, Leonhard Müller, together with 36 local vintners. Since 1971 it has shared the brand name "Sonnenstück" (a piece of the sun) with the municipalities in the region.


The Hebelschule in Schliengen offers an Elementary school, a Hauptschule, and a vocational Realschule. There are also additional Elementary schools in Liel, Mauchen, and Niedereggenen.



  • Lina Kromer (1889–1977) (in Obereggenen), German poet.


  1. ^ "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31. Dezember 2013 (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)".  

External links

  • Gemeinde Schliengen im Markgräflerland
  • Offizielle Seite von Schloss Bürgeln
  • Erste Markgräfler Winzergenossenschaft Schliengen-Müllheim e.G.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.