World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Silver Pagoda

Article Id: WHEBN0012040352
Reproduction Date:

Title: Silver Pagoda  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ramayana, Norodom of Cambodia, Reamker, Royal Ballet of Cambodia, Royal Palace, Phnom Penh, Cambodian art, Wat
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Silver Pagoda

Silver Pagoda
Wat Preah Keo Morokot
Temple of the Emerald Buddha
View of Wat Preah Keo Complex
Silver Pagoda, Phnom Penh
Silver Pagoda, Phnom Penh
Location within Phnom Penh

11°33′44.97″N 104°55′55.02″E / 11.5624917°N 104.9319500°E / 11.5624917; 104.9319500

Information
Denomination Theravada Buddhism
Founded 19th century
Founder(s) King Norodom I
Country Cambodia

Portal:Buddhism

The Silver Pagoda is located on the south side of the Royal Palace, Phnom Penh. Formerly, it was known as Wat Ubosoth Ratanaram. The temple's official name is Preah Vihear Preah Keo Morakot but is commonly referred to as Wat Preah Keo in Khmer.

The vihara houses many national treasures such as gold and jeweled Buddha statues. Most notable is a small 17th century baccarat crystal Buddha (the "Emerald Buddha" of Cambodia) and a life-sized gold Maitreya Buddha decorated with 9584 diamonds, the largest of which weighs 25 carats. It was created in the palace workshops during 1906 and 1907, the gold Buddha weighs in at 90kg and is dressed in royal regalia commissioned by King Sisowath. During King Norodom Sihanouk's pre-Khmer Rouge reign, the Silver Pagoda was inlaid with more than 5,000 silver tiles and some of its outer facade was remodelled with Italian marble. However only a small area of these tiles are available to be viewed by the public on entering the pagoda.

It is a notable wat (Buddhist temple) in Phnom Penh and the official temple of the King of Cambodia.

Gallery

Literature

Coordinates: 11°33′45″N 104°55′54″E / 11.56254°N 104.93166°E / 11.56254; 104.93166

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.