World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0010075493
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sonnefeld  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Coburg (district), Ernest, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen, Werner Krauss, John Casimir, Duke of Saxe-Coburg, Friedrich Geißhardt, Georg Hansen
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Town hall

Coat of arms
Country Germany
State Bavaria
Admin. region Oberfranken
District Coburg
 • Mayor Rainer Marr (CSU)
 • Total 34.69 km2 (13.39 sq mi)
Elevation 318 m (1,043 ft)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 4,880
 • Density 140/km2 (360/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 96242
Dialling codes 09562
Vehicle registration CO

Sonnefeld is a municipality in the district of Coburg in Bavaria in Germany.

Geographical Location

Sonnefeld lies on Bundesstraße 303 between Coburg and Kronach and also between the Thuringian Forest and the Lichtenfels Forest.

Municipal Division

The municipality of Sonnefeld is divided in eleven districts:


The first documented mention of Sonnefeld was in the year 1252. In 1260, a Cistercian convent was founded in Ebersdorf bei Coburg by Henry II von Sonneberg with the help from the nuns from Maidbronn. Three years later, in 1263, the nearby hamlet of Hofstädten became the property of the convent. When the convent burned to the ground in 1287, a new convent was built and consecrated in Hofstädten for the nuns. In 1299, the villages of Weidhausen and Trübenbach were given to the Sonnefeld Monastery in an exchange of properties with Bamberg. A church was added between 1330 and 1349 in the High Gothic style and became the Klosterkirche (Monastery Church). But, in 1526, the monastery was dissolved as a result of the Reformation. Since then, Sonnefeld was an Evangelical Lutheran parish. The Thirty Years War destroyed most of the houses and buildings in Sonnefeld and Hofstädten so the reconstruction was slow but steady. It got a big boost from the grant of market privileges by Duke Albert V, Duke of Saxe-Coburg. In 1705, the district of Sonnefeld came to the Duchy of Saxe-Hildburghausen. In 1769, the parish church was rebuilt. In 1826, the district of Sonnefeld was given to the Duchy of Saxe Coburg and Gotha in the redistribution of lands between the surviving Saxon Duchies. On 1 May 1851 the cantor Karl Herold founded a children's festival. On 23 June 1889 Sonnefeld and Hofstädten were merged as a single town under the name of Sonnefeld. In the same year, a war memorial was unveiled in the town square (Marktplatz), and the first railway line opened at Sonnefeld in 1901. During World War I, Sonnefeld had to surrender three church bells and the pipes of the church's organ to the war effort but they were replaced and ordained, respectively, in 1919 and 1924. On 1 June 1920, the dissolution of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha sent the district of Coburg, including Sonnefeld, to Bavaria. Before World War II, 1400 people were counted in Sonnefeld but, in 1966, the population was down to 980 residents in 556 households. However, the subsequent additions, a total of 10 villages, to the municipality increased the population to 5,300.

Coat of Arms

Blazon: Divided horizontally in blue and white, with the top in blue with a profile of a white church with red roofs and the bottom in white with an oak tree erased at the roots. The church is the Klosterkirche (Monastery Church) of Sonnefeld and the oak is the traditional symbol of Hofstädten.


The Town Council has 20 members. The municipal elections of 2008 led to the following distribution of the seats in the council: 8 seats for CSU, 7 seats for SPD, and 5 seats for Independents.


Until the 19th Century, Sonnefeld was primarily an agricultural village. Then basketmaking became the main business of the village, with products exported all over the world. After the end of World War I, workshops were created to make willow chairs, wicker furniture, baby carriages, and upholstered furniture. They were the ones that eventually replaced basketmaking. They were joined by industrial jobs in nearby towns and villages in the post-World War II boom. The prosperity made it possible for Sonnefeld to add a water supply system, a fully biological sewage treatment plant, an elementary school with a gym, and a heated swimming pool.

Other Facts

In Sonnefeld, Itzgründisch, a Main-Franconian dialect of the German language, is spoken.

Notable Residents


  1. ^ "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). 31 December 2013. 


  • (de) Wilhelm Volkert (ed.): Handbuch der bayerischen Ämter, Gemeinden und Gerichte 1799–1980 (Handbook of the Bavarian Administrations, Municipalities and Courts, 1799-1980). C.H.Beck’sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Münich, 1983. ISBN 3-406-09669-7, pp. 441 and 442.
  • (de) Statistisches Bundesamt (Federal Bureau of Statistics) (ed.), Historisches Gemeindeverzeichnis für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Namens-, Grenz- und Schlüsselnummernänderungen bei Gemeinden, Kreisen und Regierungsbezirken vom 27. 5. 1970 bis 31. 12. 1982 (Historical Directory of the Municipalities of the Federal Republic of Germany. Name, Boundary and Key Number Changes for Communities, Districts and Administrations between 27 May 1970 and 31 December 1982). W. Kohlhammer GmbH, Stuttgart and Mainz, 1983. ISBN 3-17-003263-1, p. 679.

External links

  • (de) Homepage der Gemeinde Sonnefeld
  • (de) Sonnefeld: History of the coat-of-arms from HdBG
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.