World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

University of Évora

Article Id: WHEBN0002062273
Reproduction Date:

Title: University of Évora  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Évora, Higher education in Portugal, Mediterranean Universities Union, List of early modern universities in Europe, University of Évora
Collection: 1559 Establishments in Portugal, 16Th-Century Establishments in Portugal, 1779 Disestablishments in Portugal, 1973 Establishments in Portugal, Baroque Architecture in Portugal, Buildings and Structures in Alentejo Region, Educational Institutions Disestablished in the 1770S, Educational Institutions Established in 1973, Educational Institutions Established in the 1550S, Évora, Jesuit Universities and Colleges, Universities in Portugal, University of Évora
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

University of Évora

University of Évora
Universidade de Évora
Latin: Universitatis Évoral
Motto Honesto estudo com longa experiência misturado
Established 1559
Type Public University
Rector Ana Costa Freitas (2014-2018)
Students 10,496
Location Évora, Portugal
Website www.uevora.pt

The University of Évora (Universidade de Évora) is a public university in Évora, Portugal.

History

The University of Évora, the second oldest in Portugal, was founded in the 16th century (1559) by Cardinal Infante Dom Henrique (the future king of Portugal), and by the Pope Paul IV, and it was delivered to the Society of Jesus.

The Jesuit college (Colégio do Espírito Santo) in Évora operated between 1559 and 1759. In this year and as a consequence of the Jesuit expulsion promoted by the Minister of the Kingdom Marquis of Pombal, it was closed.

The Colégio do Espírito Santo became famed as a centre of learning and rivalled the University of Coimbra. Among its eminent theologians and philosophers were Luis de Molina (1535-1600), Pedro de Fonseca (1528-1599), St. Francisco de Borja, St. João de Brito, Manuel Álvares. Several prelates of the Portuguese Empire were trained at this university: D. Afonso Mendes, Patriarch of Abyssinia, and D. Pedro Martins, first bishop of Japan. The classrooms are decorated with appropriate azulejos (ceramic tiles) such as "Plato teaching his followers" and "Aristotle teaching Alexander the Great".

The University of Évora resumed work in 1973 as a state-run university. The diplomas are granted in the 18th century Baroque chapel (Sala dos Actos) (restored in 1973), that dominates the Tuscan-arched Renaissance cloister.

See also

External links

  • University of Évora

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.