World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Villaconejos

Article Id: WHEBN0023550593
Reproduction Date:

Title: Villaconejos  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Valdemoro, Aranjuez, Campo Real, Sevilla la Nueva, Zarzalejo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Villaconejos

Villaconejos
Municipality
Municipal location within the Community of Madrid.
Municipal location within the Community of Madrid.
Country  Spain
Autonomous community Community of Madrid
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)

Villaconejos is a municipality of the Community of Madrid, Spain.

History

It is possible that the appearance of Villaconejos happen before the eighth century, while other experts believe that it originated during the period of the Reconquest.

Two important Roman roads passed through this area: the road that ran from Augusta Emerita (modern Mérida) to Caesar Augusta (Zaragoza) and the road leading from Urci (Huércal, Almería) to Flaviobriga (Castro Urdiales, Cantabria). Many of the routes take advantage later medieval ancient Roman roads, and both sections survived in the area, and to this day almost as it were. In fact, it is certain that the road linking Glen Villaconejos-Aranjuez and Villaconejos-Titulcia and Valtaray touches the base of the route is part of Urci-Flaviobriga.

The TARIC Arab general, Musa and sent its first general step region in Hispanic lands, and his troops walked by Valtaray, a valley of the place perhaps known to the Romans as Taraci Vallis, about 711, and forming common area Arabs crossing.

Many of the people of the area belonged to the Crown for several centuries until the eighteenth or were Nobiliario Lordship. Villaconejos, among other lands, was transferred to the Council of Segovia by Henry IV in 1454 for a period of restocking.

According to D. Jesús Sancho, in his book Villaconejos - Notes from our people (see References and Bibliography) some ancient scriptures define the oldest people at a time like this: "... a village with only 200 houses below, single floor, a place quite extensive, home municipality, a hospital for the poor passers, unhealthy and unsafe jail, a primary school child, endowed with 1,800 real and other girls who do not receive more funding than provided with the parents of her students, but always less than the teacher. " "... there were markets on Tuesdays and Fridays, in whose days were provided with the items that lacked the 130 residents, who was the population then.

In 1480, are exempted from the jurisdiction of Segovia by the Catholic Monarchs "vassals Chinchón 1200, Valdelaguna, Villaconejos, Bayonne, Ciempozuelos and San Martin de la Vega, in addition to those belonging to the locations of Casarrubios Sexmo [1] to the Marquis de Moya D. Andres Cabrera and his wife, Ms. Beatriz de Bobadilla.

In 1706, the troops in the War of Succession seized Madrid and Philip V, who recovered, passed through the town. Some of the foreign soldiers who killed the troops of Philip V were buried in the Church.

Until 1834, the court belonged Villaconejos Sexmo Valdemoro. Since then, 170 people, became dependent on Chinchón, while the church belonged to the Diocese of Ocaña-La Guardia and the Archbishopric of Toledo until 1881, which transferred to the Diocese of Madrid-Alcalá . The administration of the town was conducted by Segovia until it passes the province of Madrid in 1801.

Economy

The main activity in the history of the people is agriculture. Is Mediterranean, growing olives, vines and cereals. The oil quality is excellent and good wine honors the renowned vineyards of the area. From world renown are also melons, whose upbringing occupied the town for centuries as the main work.

Etymology

The town's name has been drifting from town of Rabbit until now preserved through a few more stages (Villa Rabbits, Villaconejos). The name is thought that the area abounded leporidae and practiced their game. There is a place known as El Vedado and a small hill known as Cerro Barbero, but formerly called Cerro Galguera. These terms are related to hunting: the closed area and the dogs, commonly used for hunting dogs for agility and speed. Hunting activity took place until recently, existed before, even, an association of hunters. The multitude of rabbits in the area and the reputation and quality of melon has long been recorded in historical writings.

In 1561 there was a significant deforestation in the area known as the Montecillo, who had numerous oaks, pines and gall, so thick that it was inhabited by large numbers of wolves. Felling of wood took place agreed upon by neighbors and Villaconejos Colmenar de Oreja. [3] The residents had to carry out raids from time to time because these mammals reached the entrances to villages, threatening the inhabitants . The fact that there were wolves, therefore must also had rabbits as food.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.