World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Zeitz

Article Id: WHEBN0000965611
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zeitz  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gera, Hermann Pöschel, Altenburg, Jens Henschel, Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Weimar, Duchess of Saxe-Zeitz
Collection: Burgenlandkreis, Oil Campaign of World War II, Province of Saxony
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Zeitz

Zeitz
Schloss Moritzburg (Zeitz)
Coat of arms of Zeitz
Coat of arms
Zeitz   is located in Germany
Zeitz
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Saxony-Anhalt
District Burgenlandkreis
Government
 • Mayor Volkmar Kunze (FDP)
Area
 • Total 87.15 km2 (33.65 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 29,557
 • Density 340/km2 (880/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 06711, 06712
Dialling codes 03441, 034423, 034426
Vehicle registration BLK, HHM, NEB, NMB, WSF, ZZ
Website German: Stadt Zeitz

Zeitz is a town in the Burgenlandkreis district, in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is situated on the river Weiße Elster, in the triangle of the federal states Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia and Saxony.

History

Zeitz was first recorded under the name Cici in the synode of Ravenna in 967. Between 965 and 982, it was the chief fortress of the March of Zeitz. Zeitz was a bishop's residence between 968 and 1028, when it was moved to Naumburg. Beginning at the end of the 13th century, the bishops again resided in their castle at Zeitz. The Herrmannsschacht (built in 1889) is one of the oldest brick factories in the world. It was captured by Swedish troops during Thirty Years' War and was given to Electorate of Saxony in 1644. It was centre of Saxe-Zeitz between 1657 and 1718 before returning to Electorate (Became Kingdom of Saxony in 1806). In 1815, it was given to Kingdom of Prussia and was become district (kreis) centre in Merseburg region (regierungsbezirk) of Province of Saxony till 1944, when became part of Halle region. It was become county free city between 1901 and 1950. It was occupied by USA troops in 27 April 1945 and was given to Soviet ones in 1 July 1945. It was a district centre in Halle region of Saxony-Anhalt state between 1945 and 1952 and again 1990 and 1994 and in Halle bezirk between 1952 and 1990. It lost status centre of county and became part of Burgenlandkreis in 1 July 1994.

A bombing target of the Oil Campaign of World War II, the Brabag plant northeast of Zeitz used lignite coal to synthesize ersatz oil[2]forced labor was provided by the nearby Wille subcamp of Buchenwald in Rehmsdorf and Gleina.. In the middle of the 1960s work started on the "Zeitz-Ost" residential area, and in the mid-1980s, housing estates such as the "Völkerfreundschaft" (English: International Friendship) were built.

On 18 August 1976, the Protestant clergyman Oskar Brüsewitz from Rippicha burnt himself to death in front of the Michaeliskirche. This was a protest against the DDR system. The town was an industrial centre until German Reunification made many companies in eastern Germany uncompetitive. The town still has a large sugar factory.

Main sights

Zeitz sights are predominantly situated along the Romanesque Road (point 52).

  • Schloss Moritzburg, a baroque-style castle with the cathedral of St. Peter and Paul. The 10th century crypt displays 17th century tin coffins including that of Moritz, Duke of Saxony.
  • Michaeliskirche (1154), originally a Roman basilica and contains a 1517 original of Martin Luther's 95 Theses.
  • Town Hall (1509, rebuilt in 1909). It is a Gothic structure that, together with restored houses and 3 market-places, provides Zeitz' medieval appearance.
  • Herrmannsschacht, a technical monument in a former brick factory.

References

  1. ^ "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden – Stand: 31.12.2013" (PDF).  
  2. ^ . Becker, Peter W. (1981). "The Role of Synthetic Fuel In World War II Germany: implications for today?". Air University Review ( 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.